Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

You must account for subsidy removal gains — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 19, 2026 673 Minutes read0

•Atiku and Tinubu

Presidential Candidate of the African Democratic Congress (ADC), Atiku Abubakar, has challenged President Bola Tinubu to account for “approximately ₦30 trillion in Federation revenues”, deductions, savings and transfers requiring transparent reconciliation, saying the latest July 2026 Federation Account figures show that the troubling pattern has continued.

Atiku, in a statement issued by his Senior Special Assistant on Public Communication, Phrank Shaibu, said his earlier reconciliation of published Federation Account figures had identified approximately ₦28 trillion requiring explanation up to June 2026, but the July figures have raised fresh questions and pushed the cumulative amount requiring proper public accounting towards ₦30 trillion, reports Daily Trust.

“The question President Tinubu must answer remains painfully simple: Where is the money?” Atiku said.

“For July 2026, gross statutory revenue stood at ₦4.359 trillion, while the Federation Account Allocation Committee approved a total distribution of ₦3.007 trillion to the Federal Government, 36 states and 774 local government councils.”

Atiku said the July figures were further evidence that Nigerians deserve a comprehensive reconciliation of the enormous revenues flowing into the Federation Account and the deductions made before distribution.

“The madness continues. Month after month, trillions of naira enter the Federation accounts, and month after month enormous amounts are removed under different classifications before the balance is distributed.

“Our reconciliation previously identified approximately ₦28 trillion requiring explanation up to June 2026. July shows that the pattern has continued. The cumulative amount of Federation revenues, deductions, savings, transfers and related funds requiring transparent reconciliation is now approaching ₦30 trillion.

“If the Tinubu administration disputes that figure, the answer is not another press statement, publish the ledger.”

The former vice president recalled that in January 2024, ₦2.068 trillion was reported as available revenue, but only ₦1.149 trillion was distributed. In June 2025, ₦4.232 trillion was available, while ₦1.818 trillion was shared. By June 2026, ₦4.501 trillion was reported as available, but only ₦2.551 trillion was distributed.

“These are not accounting footnotes. This is the wealth of the Nigerian people.

“These are also government figures, not ours. The accounts are in the custody of the government, not the opposition. Therefore, the burden is on President Tinubu and his administration to tell Nigerians what happened to their money.

“Government cannot demand that citizens prove what happened to public funds whose collection, custody, deductions and disbursement are exclusively under its control. Publish the accounts, identify every deduction and beneficiary, show the transfers, show the savings, show the balances and show the dates.”

Atiku said the administration must particularly account for the revenues and fiscal gains arising from the removal of petroleum and energy subsidies, noting that Nigerians were specifically promised that the painful reforms would release resources for development.

“President Tinubu did not ask Nigerians to endure the agony of subsidy removal so that the proceeds could become unexplained stashed funds beyond public scrutiny.

“The savings and additional revenues generated by these reforms belong to the Nigerian people. They are not the private reserves of the Presidency or any government agency. Where is the subsidy-removal windfall?”

Atiku said such resources should have been visibly invested in transformative projects that directly improve the lives and productive capacity of Nigerians.

“By now, the gains from subsidy removal should be financing inter-state rail connectivity, expanding the carrying capacity of our universities, polytechnics and colleges of education, strengthening primary healthcare facilities across the country, improving public transportation and investing in infrastructure that reduces the cost of doing business.

“Instead, Nigerians are paying more for petrol, electricity, transportation and food while the government celebrates record revenues without providing an equally transparent account of what happened to the proceeds of their sacrifice.”

The former vice president described as particularly troubling the contradiction of an administration recording unprecedented revenues and claiming enormous sums as savings and transfers while simultaneously plunging Nigeria deeper into debt.

“If these trillions genuinely exist as savings, where are they and why is Nigeria borrowing so aggressively?

“If the money has been transferred, who received it? If it has been spent, what was it spent on? If it remains in government accounts, what are the balances today?

“These are straightforward questions. President Tinubu should provide straightforward answers.”

Atiku therefore challenged the administration to publish a month-by-month and beneficiary-by-beneficiary reconciliation of Federation revenues from June 2023 to date, clearly separating cost of collection, savings, transfers, interventions, refunds and every other deduction.

“For every naira removed before distribution, Nigerians deserve to know the amount, beneficiary, purpose, date, destination and legal authority.

“Transparency is not achieved by attaching convenient accounting labels to trillions of naira. It is achieved by opening the books.

“President Tinubu asked Nigerians to make sacrifices. Nigerians have sacrificed enough. What they cannot be asked to sacrifice is their constitutional right to know what happened to their money.

“If the approximately ₦30 trillion is properly accounted for, President Tinubu should publish the ledger and show Nigerians where every naira went.”

Tags
Former Vice President AtikuTinubuYosubsidy removal gains
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post BREAKING: Governor Adeleke’s convoy attacked by gunmen while leaving monarch’s palace
next post JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

Opposition party, APM rejects FG’s N15.8 trillion subsidy savings claim

August 20, 20260
Business & Economy

Customs records N28.1 billion revenue at Apapa port in one day

August 20, 20260
Business & Economy

Abuja’s whopping N390 billion debt raises posers over cost of Nigeria’s capital infrastructure boom under minister Wike

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Politics

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 20260
Politics

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Peter Obi dominates South East, South South as Tinubu leads South West, North — Research

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 2026

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 2026

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 2026

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

State Police legislation politically driven, says ADC

June 26, 2026
3

Lagos-Calabar highway: What we built in 6 years, destroyed in 6 hours – Landmark Beach laments

May 1, 2024
4

Christians in Nigeria reject proposed ban on preaching inside vehicles

July 23, 2026
5

FG approves central placement of nurse interns

February 4, 2026
6

Nigeria would have been better if Peter Obi won 2023 presidential election – Senator Abaribe

November 26, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Mikel Obi deserved 2013 African Best Player Award – Yaya Toure admits

April 25, 2025
3

Mbappe to undergo ankle assessment at French camp

October 6, 2025
4

Ize-Iyamu withdraws from APC primary for Edo guber election

February 16, 2024
5

Flooding: Relocate from river banks – FG warns Nigerians

October 17, 2024
6

Protest rocks varsity over appointment of vice chancellor

October 17, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Employers reject FG’s pension contribution hike

July 24, 2026

Hamas hands over remaining 13 Israeli hostages to Red Cross

October 13, 2025

Italy’s 1990 World Cup icon Schillaci dies at 59

September 18, 2024

2027: Buhari’s former Minister Nwajiuba declares for presidency under ADC

January 19, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4919
  • Politics4578
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2271
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health876
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact