Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Police, Plateau youths disagree over attack at mass burial claims

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 7, 2026 613 Minutes read0

The Plateau State Police Command and the Berom youth community are at odds over reports of an attack on mourners during a mass burial of terror victims in Barkin Ladi, with the police describing the claims as “false” while the community insists the incident occurred.

The controversy stems from reports that gunmen attacked mourners gathered for the burial of seven victims killed in an earlier assault on Nding Sesut Community, Fan District of the council area, reports The PUNCH.

Residents and eyewitnesses said the assailants attempted to storm the burial site on Wednesday but were repelled, while separate attacks were later carried out on nearby communities.

In a swift reaction, the Plateau State Police Command issued a press release on May 6, 2026, debunking the report.

“It has come to the notice of the Plateau State Police Command that a misleading publication by a section of the media alleges that gunmen opened fire on innocent civilians during a mass burial in the state, resulting in the death of many people,” the statement signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, SP Alfred Alabo, read.

The Command said the claims were “grossly exaggerated, inaccurate, and do not reflect the true situation on the ground,” stressing that “at no time did the Plateau State Police Command record such an incident.”

It added that the burial “was conducted under strict security supervision,” with the Divisional Police Officer and other security agencies present throughout the ceremony alongside the local government chairman, who “addressed the youth, urging them to toe the line of peace and allow security to do all within their powers to arrest the perpetrators of this violence.”

According to the police, “the event was carried out without any attack, as falsely reported.”

Commissioner of Police, CP Bassey Ewah, said additional personnel, including mobile policemen and operatives of Operation Enduring Peace, had been deployed “as part of proactive measures to sustain peace and forestall any potential threats within the area.”

The command urged the public to “disregard the said publication, as it is misleading and capable of inciting unnecessary panic,” and advised media organisations “to uphold the ethics of journalism by verifying information from credible sources before dissemination, especially on sensitive security matters.”

However, the Berom Youth Moulders-Association on Thursday countered the police position in a statement issued on May 7, 2026, by its National Publicity Secretary, Rwang Tengwong.

While acknowledging “the presence and efforts of security personnel at the burial ceremony,” the group said it was necessary “to state the facts clearly and accurately for the sake of public record, justice for the victims, and the affected communities.”

The BYM said the number of persons killed in the initial attack that led to the mass burial was “seven, not five,” and noted that Nding Sesut, a border community between Fan and Ropp districts, “has remained vulnerable to repeated attacks over time.”

The group further asserted that “there was indeed an attempted attack during the mass burial ceremony at Nding Sesut.”

According to the statement, “Some officials of the association, led by the National President, were physically present at the burial, making this not merely an eyewitness account but a direct experience of those on the ground.”

It added that “the attackers attempted to invade the area during the burial proceedings but were successfully repelled through the combined efforts of security personnel present at the venue and local vigilante groups.”

Three vigilante members sustained injuries during the confrontation and were taken to hospital for medical attention.

The BYM said after failing to penetrate the burial gathering, “the attackers moved to soft-target communities in Ropp District, specifically Zat and Bet communities.”

The attack, it said, “resulted in the killing of two persons in Zat Community and the burning of the residence of the community leader.”

The group noted that Zat Community is located close to Saint John Vianney Minor Seminary, Barkin Ladi, “a fact that can easily be verified by any interested member of the public.”

The youth group stressed that “these unfortunate incidents are realities experienced by the affected communities and should not be dismissed in a manner that may appear to undermine the pains, fears, and losses suffered by innocent citizens.”

It called for “proactive security measures, sustained surveillance, intelligence gathering, and prompt response mechanisms capable of preventing further attacks on vulnerable rural settlements,” adding that “public communication on security matters should reflect realities on the ground with accuracy, balance, and sensitivity.”

 

Tags
attackMass burialPlateau youthspolice
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post 2027 Presidency: I’m consulting widely, says former President Jonathan
next post US to revoke citizenship of naturalised Americans found guilty of fraud
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

BLOODBATH: Man beheads mother, another kills sister, niece

May 18, 20260
Crime

SHOCKING: 68-year-old woman raped to death in Lagos

May 18, 20260
Crime

How terrorists killed 17 police officers, soldiers in Yobe

May 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

BLOODBATH: Man beheads mother, another kills sister, niece

May 18, 20260
Sports

Nigeria end African Athletics Championship with 12 medals

May 18, 20260
Crime

SHOCKING: 68-year-old woman raped to death in Lagos

May 18, 20260
Business & Economy

63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN

May 18, 20260
Crime

How terrorists killed 17 police officers, soldiers in Yobe

May 18, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Former President Jonathan to submit presidential forms today – Sources

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BLOODBATH: Man beheads mother, another kills sister, niece

May 18, 2026

Nigeria end African Athletics Championship with 12 medals

May 18, 2026

SHOCKING: 68-year-old woman raped to death in Lagos

May 18, 2026

63% of Nigerians want interest rates reduced – CBN

May 18, 2026

How terrorists killed 17 police officers, soldiers in Yobe

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

BLOODBATH: Man beheads mother, another kills sister, niece

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

RED ALERT: Terrorists eyeing Nigeria, West African coastline – US

June 2, 2025
3

Strike: Abuja workers vow to sustain siege as legal battle intensifies

January 26, 2026
4

Ogun bans market levies, to reintroduce bulk purchase system

September 13, 2024
5

Actress Wumi Toriola hospitalised after online backlash

September 4, 2025
6

APC 9 years worse than PDP 16 years — APC chieftain

September 9, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Police spokesman Adejobi suppressing citizens rights, freedom of speech – Activist Deji Adeyanju

February 5, 2025
3

HAPPENING NOW: Tight security as varsity workers gather in Abuja for nationwide protest

July 18, 2024
4

Dropouts loom: Parents, students cry out over proposed varsity fees increase

February 6, 2026
5

Woman sells abducted girl for N530,000

November 11, 2023
6

Court stops NLC, TUC from embarking on Tuesday nationwide strike

November 11, 2023

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

FBI opens criminal probe into Baltimore Bridge collapse

April 15, 2024

10 PDP controlled states in Nigeria •FULL LIST

June 6, 2025

Tinubu appoints board members for North West Development Commission •FULL LIST

September 28, 2024

Police to women: Not showing up after collecting transport fare from men is criminal offence

September 4, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4544
  • Politics4063
  • Crime3886
  • International2734
  • Sports2254
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2068
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health798
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa459
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech219
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact