Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

US indicts former Cuban President Castro as pressure builds

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 21, 2026 203 Minutes read0

•Former Cuban President Fidel Castro (L) listens to his brother Raul

The United States yesterday criminally indicted Cuba’s former leader Raul Castro, fueling speculation that President Donald Trump will try to topple the communist state.

The Justice Department charged the influential former president over the deadly 1996 downing of two civilian planes manned by anti-Castro pilots.

The 94-year-old Castro, brother of Fidel Castro, the late iconic US nemesis who led the 1959 communist revolution, was accused of murder, conspiracy to kill Americans, and destruction of aircraft.

“We expect that he will show up here by his own will or by another way and go to prison,” acting Attorney General Todd Blanche told a news conference in Miami attended by cheering Cuban-Americans.

Trump previously seized on a US domestic indictment to justify military action in January that toppled and seized Venezuela’s then President Nicolas Maduro, a staunch ally of the Cuban authorities, reports AFP.

Trump hailed the indictment as a “very big moment” but played down prospects of taking action against Cuba, whose economy has been in deepening crisis for months.

“There won’t be escalation. I don’t think there needs to be. Look, the place is falling apart. It’s a mess, and they sort of lost control,” Trump told reporters.

But Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel said the US action had “no legal basis.”

The charges aim to “add to the file they are fabricating to justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba,” he wrote on X.

Five other Cubans were also charged, including the air force pilots who shot down the planes.

Four people died in the 1996 incident, sending relations plummeting. Two decades later, Raul Castro joined then US president Barack Obama in an effort to reconcile.

Trump reversed Obama’s effort to improve relations and has been steadily tightening sanctions on the island, already under a US embargo almost continuously since the communist revolution.

‘New Path’

Trump has repeatedly signaled that the Cuban government could be next after Venezuela to fall to US pressure, and earlier this month even said Washington would be “taking over” the Caribbean island, about 90 miles (145 km) from Florida, “almost immediately.”

In a video message to the Cuban people in Spanish, Secretary of State Marco Rubio, himself a Cuban-American, accused the Havana leadership of theft, corruption and oppression.

“President Trump is offering a new path between the US and a new Cuba,” Rubio said.

“A new Cuba where you have a real opportunity to choose who governs your country and vote to replace them if they are not doing a good job.”

The US ousting of Maduro has hit Cuba hard, cutting off a supply of free Venezuelan oil to the island which has suffered major blackouts.

Rubio has dangled an offer of $100 million in aid to Cuba if it takes steps to open up.

“In the US, we are ready to open a new chapter in the relationship between our people and our countries,” Rubio said. “And, currently, the only thing standing in the way of a better future are those who control your country.”

The indictment was announced on the day that Cuban-Americans mark Cuba’s independence from Spain.

At the Versailles restaurant, a historic gathering point for Miami’s Cuban diaspora, Francys Fabelo, a 67-year-old writer originally from Cuba, said the community has been waiting for such charges against the Castros for decades.

“You don’t mess with President Trump. I think this is serious. We hope, the people of Cuba hope, that this is serious,” she said.

The Cuban government emphasizes different dates in its historical narrative, celebrating the victory of Fidel Castro’s revolution on January 1, 1959.

Diaz-Canel in his own message said that independence from Spain in 1898 was marred by the Platt Amendment, the US policy of forcing the right to intervene in Cuba.

“Intervention, interference, dispossession, frustration: that is what May 20th signifies in Cuba’s history,” he wrote on X.

 

Tags
former Cuban President CastroUS
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Aston Villa crush Freiburg to win Europa League
next post Real reason I stepped down for Deputy Governor Hamzat in Lagos governorship race — Ajose
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Australian court upholds $465,000 fine against Elon Musk’s X

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
International

Ebola risk high regionally, low worldwide — WHO

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

NYSC announces date to commence 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation

May 21, 20260
Education

JAMB releases 279 previously withheld UTME results

May 21, 20260
Crime

Police officer threatens to kill anyone who films him on duty •VIDEO

May 21, 20260
Politics

Natasha clinches PDP ticket, strengthens grip on Kogi Central ahead of 2027

May 21, 20260
Politics

BREAKING: Allegations of mandatory N5 billion in aspirant’s bank account trails NDC governorship screening

May 21, 20260
Education

JUST IN: Tinubu appoints new JAMB Registrar

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

NYSC announces date to commence 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation

May 21, 2026

JAMB releases 279 previously withheld UTME results

May 21, 2026

Police officer threatens to kill anyone who films him on duty •VIDEO

May 21, 2026

Natasha clinches PDP ticket, strengthens grip on Kogi Central ahead of 2027

May 21, 2026

BREAKING: Allegations of mandatory N5 billion in aspirant’s bank account trails NDC governorship screening

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

NYSC announces date to commence 2026 Batch B Stream I orientation

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Chelsea top Women’s Champions League group with win in Madrid

December 18, 2024
3

Worker’s Day: NNPP laments rising inflation •Says it’s against Workers Day spirit

May 1, 2024
4

King Charles appoints Starmer as UK Prime Minister

July 5, 2024
5

Music star Davido celebrates his twin children’s first birthday

October 9, 2024
6

Nollywood diva, Omotola Ekeinde narrates her life-threatening health hazard: How I was rushed to hospital 3 times for medical emergency

November 29, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Electricity cheaper in Nigeria than in Senegal, others – Transmission company boss

October 21, 2024
3

Bandits attack Immigration outpost, cart away rifles, abduct officer

March 18, 2026
4

Lawyers sue senators to refund salaries over poor performance

May 28, 2025
5

Nigerians defy increasing petrol prices as consumption rises by 10.8% to 52.4 million litres

May 13, 2026
6

FG sues Senator Nwebonyi over alleged defamation of Senator Natasha

October 18, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

33 years after, Commission reviews revenue-sharing formula for federal, states, local govts

August 18, 2025

US places $25,000 bounty on fleeing Nigerian on murder trial

November 12, 2024

Governor Makinde presents Toyota Land Cruiser Prado to outgoing Police boss Sonubi

February 14, 2025

JAMB: 29 less competitive courses in Nigeria in 2026 and their cut-off marks •FULL LIST

May 12, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4551
  • Politics4101
  • Crime3901
  • International2747
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1257
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact