Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Air strikes in Gaza crush joy of ceasefire deal

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 16, 2025 3573 Minutes read0

•People check the rubble of buildings hit in Israeli strikes last night in Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip

After news of a ceasefire agreement sparked mass rejoicing in Gaza, residents woke up today to columns of smoke, rubble and more deaths following new Israeli air strikes.

“We were waiting for the truce and were happy. It was the happiest night since October 7,” said Gaza resident Saeed Alloush, referring to the Hamas attack on Israel that sparked the war in 2023.

“Suddenly… we received the news of the martyrdom of 40 people,” including his uncle, Alloush said.

“The whole area’s joy turned to sadness, as if an earthquake struck,” reports AFP.

The latest strikes came after Qatar and the United States announced a fragile ceasefire deal that should take effect on Sunday.

Our correspondent has contacted the Israeli military for comment.

Mahmud Bassal, spokesman for Gaza’s civil defence agency, told our correspondent today that at least 73 people had been killed in Israeli air strikes since the announcement yesterday.

Among them were 20 children and 25 women, he said, with around 200 others wounded.

As day broke, crowds gathered to inspect and clear the remains of a building reduced to rubble, where chunks of concrete lay interspersed with rebar and personal items scattered across the site.

The scenes mirrored those in other parts of the densely populated territory of 2.4 million people, most of whom have been displaced at least once since war broke out in October 2023.

At Nasser Hospital, the main medical facility of the southern city of Khan Yunis, our correspondents saw stained metal mortuary stretchers stained in red as staff drained them of the blood of the dead in a strike.

In Gaza City’s Al-Ahli hospital, where several strike casualties were taken, grieving families knelt by the white shrouds enveloping their loved ones’ bodies.

Rescuer Ibrahim Abu al-Rish told our correspondent that “after the ceasefire was announced and people were happy and joyful, a five-storey building was targeted, with more than 50 people inside”.

Wearing headlights, first responders and local residents searched through the rubble late at night in the devastated streets of Gaza City.

Abu al-Rish, an ambulance driver for Gaza’s civil defence agency, said today that “shelling is still continuing, targeting one house after another”.

‘Very bloody night’

In the Al-Bureij refugee camp in central Gaza, resident Mahmud al-Qarnawi told our correspondent that until the agreement takes hold, Gazans would remain vulnerable.

“The shooting has not stopped, the planes are still in the air and the situation is difficult,” he said.

As a result, Qarnawi and others our correspondent spoke to in the nearby city of Nuseirat said they were worried about what could happen next.

“We must remain cautious. And for the next three days, we are afraid of a (possible) bloodbath (worse) than before,” Motaz Bakeer, a displaced Gazan, said from the market at Nuseirat.

International medical charity Doctors Without Borders (MSF) said no one could yet feel safe in Gaza.

“Last night it was a lot of cheering for 20 minutes, and then it was a very bloody night,” MSF’s emergency coordinator Amande Bazerolle told our correspondent by phone from the territory, rounds of shelling audible in the background.

The Israeli cabinet is expected to approve the Gaza deal later today, though Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office accused Hamas of backtracking on elements of the agreement.

Key mediators Qatar and the United States said yesterday that Israel and Hamas had agreed to a ceasefire in Gaza starting on Sunday, along with a hostage and prisoner exchange.

If the fragile agreement is approved, 33 hostages should be released in a first phase, Qatar’s Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman bin Jassim Al-Thani said.

The war in Gaza was sparked by Hamas’s attack, which resulted in the deaths of 1,210 people in Israel, mostly civilians, according to our tally of official Israeli figures.

Israel’s retaliatory military offensive in Gaza has killed 46,788 people, the majority civilians, according to figures from the health ministry in the Hamas-run territory considered reliable by the United Nations.

Tags
air strikesceasefire dealGaza
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Mother charged for poisoning one-year-old daughter to get online donations
next post RED ALERT: New Bird Flu outbreak hits Enugu State
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 20260
International

Nigerians applying for Canada study permit to now wait longer

August 21, 20260
International

Biological parents sue surrogate mother for refusing abortion following baby’s life-threatening diagnosis

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
International

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 20260
News

African lawyers to converge on Port Harcourt for legal practice summit

August 21, 20260
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: When you empower women, you build a Nation — Governor Eno

August 21, 20260
News

UNICEF calls for stronger protection of children in Nigerian media reports

August 21, 20260
Politics

NDC flags off 2027 campaigns, reverts to old party logo

August 21, 20260
Africa

Zambia police summon opposition leader after disputed vote

August 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 2026

African lawyers to converge on Port Harcourt for legal practice summit

August 21, 2026

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: When you empower women, you build a Nation — Governor Eno

August 21, 2026

UNICEF calls for stronger protection of children in Nigerian media reports

August 21, 2026

NDC flags off 2027 campaigns, reverts to old party logo

August 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Presidency, Obasanjo hit Atiku for US adventure, disloyalty

July 24, 2026
3

Decongestion: 64 prisoners set free in Edo

December 15, 2023
4

REVEALED: Identities of worshippers killed, kidnapped from Kaduna church on Easter Sunday

April 6, 2026
5

6 Nigerian tourists detained in Cape Verde released – FG

April 17, 2025
6

Euro roundup: Real Madrid score 90th minute winner as PSG crash at home

March 7, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Sit-at-home order losing grip, Southeast security improving, says National Security Adviser Ribadu

May 23, 2025
3

BREAKING: Police confirm bomb explosion in Abuja •One killed, another injured

May 26, 2025
4

EXPOSED: Top govt officials demand $200 million bribe to escape demolition of properties on Lagos-Calabar coastal highway – Real estate investor alleges

August 6, 2025
5

BREAKING: Governor Uzodimma dissolves cabinet

January 16, 2024
6

Nigeria records 566,300 leaked accounts amid 90.6 million global breaches

November 13, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Yet another Fulani herdsmen attack: One injured, 62 houses burnt in Taraba communities

June 21, 2025

Europa Conference League: Olympiakos shock Aston Villa, Fiorentina edge Brugge

May 3, 2024

Aviation ground handlers at Nigeria’s airports may suspend operations over N9 billion debt by airlines

April 27, 2026

Mast climber: Police hand over man arrested over attempted suicide for mental evaluation •Face of the culprit revealed

July 9, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4924
  • Politics4587
  • Crime4409
  • International3039
  • Sports2457
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health877
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa576
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact