Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Politics
Politics

BREAKING: PDP accuses FCT Minister Wike of threatening to shut down venue of Jonathan presidential ratification

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 29, 2026 1123 Minutes read0

•Wike and PDP logo

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has alleged that the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, Nyesom Wike, threatened to shut down the premises of A Class Event Centre in Abuja if the venue hosts the party’s planned presidential candidate ratification ceremony for former President Goodluck Jonathan.

In a statement issued today by the party’s Interim National Working Committee, the PDP said it had been informed by the proprietors of the event centre that pressure was being mounted on them to deny the opposition party access to the facility, reports Daily Trust.

The statement, signed by the party’s National Publicity Secretary, Comrade Ini Ememobong, maintained that the party had fully paid for the venue and complied with all necessary requirements ahead of the event.

According to the PDP, relevant security agencies had also been duly notified about the planned convention scheduled for Saturday, May 30, 2026, at A Class Event Centre, Wuse 2, Abuja.

The party said its lawyers had been directed to formally remind the management of the event centre of the existing contractual agreement between both parties.

The PDP insisted that the special convention to ratify the presidential candidature of former President Goodluck Jonathan would proceed as planned despite the alleged intimidation.

“We are certain that Nigeria is a country governed by law, and any attempt to use force to suppress political dissent and opposition is an aberration which must be resisted by all people of good conscience,” the statement read.

The opposition party further argued that the FCT minister has no constitutional powers to determine which political events can be held in the territory or the venues where such events should take place.

It described any attempt to stop the gathering as undemocratic and warned against what it called efforts to stifle opposition voices in the country.

The PDP also called on party leaders, National Executive Committee members, and stakeholders from across the states to attend the convention as scheduled.

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) had earlier directed owners of hotels, event centres and other public facilities in Abuja to deal only with leaderships of political parties recognised by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

The administration also warned that any property used for gatherings of what it described as illegal organisations risks losing its title documents.

The directive was contained in a statement issued on Friday by Lere Olayinka, senior special assistant on public communications and social media to Nyesom Wike, minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

According to the statement, the measure forms part of efforts to strengthen security across the nation’s capital and prevent the use of public facilities for activities capable of disrupting public peace.

“In view of the need to further ensure the security of lives and properties in the FCT and sustain the efforts of security agencies in this regard, usage of Event Centres, Hotels and other public buildings will now be closely monitored,” the statement reads.

“This is aimed at ensuring that they are not used by illegal organisations for gatherings capable of disrupting the peace of the nation’s capital.”

The FCTA said land allocations within the territory are strictly meant for lawful activities, warning that sanctions would be imposed on facility owners who fail to comply with the new directive.

The administration specifically cautioned operators of hotels and event centres to verify the legality of groups seeking to use their premises, particularly during the ongoing political season.

“For instance, in this political season, owners of Event Centres and Hotels in particular must ensure that they only deal with Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) recognised leadership of political parties in respect of the use of their facilities, and proper records of transactions must be kept,” the statement added.

The FCTA stressed that non-compliance could attract severe consequences, including revocation of property titles.

Jonathan is being backed by a faction of PDP that is struggling for the control of the former ruling party with another faction backed by Wike.

Tags
FCT Minister WikeJonathan presidential ratificationPDPshut down
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post JUST IN: Nigerian students set to stage mother-of-all protests over kidnap of pupils, teachers in Oyo
next post JUST IN: Real Madrid appoint coach Mourinho on 3-year contract
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Politics

You are real definition of economic ignorance — Atiku hits back at Tinubu

August 21, 20260
Politics

NDC flags off 2027 campaigns, reverts to old party logo

August 21, 20260
Politics

2027 polls: INEC fixes date for nationwide mock accreditation exercise

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

Federal Road Safety Corps promotes 7,472 personnel nationwide

August 21, 20260
Politics

You are real definition of economic ignorance — Atiku hits back at Tinubu

August 21, 20260
International

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 20260
International

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 20260
News

African lawyers to converge on Port Harcourt for legal practice summit

August 21, 20260
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: When you empower women, you build a Nation — Governor Eno

August 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Federal Road Safety Corps promotes 7,472 personnel nationwide

August 21, 2026

You are real definition of economic ignorance — Atiku hits back at Tinubu

August 21, 2026

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 2026

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 2026

African lawyers to converge on Port Harcourt for legal practice summit

August 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Federal Road Safety Corps promotes 7,472 personnel nationwide

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Cristiano Ronaldo extends contract with Al Nassr

June 26, 2025
3

Job losses loom in Oil & Gas industry over Tinubu’s Executive Order – Workers

February 20, 2026
4

BREAKING: 180 federal lawmakers unanimously call for release of Nnamdi Kanu

July 23, 2024
5

Breastfeeding can save 520,000 children in 10 years – UNICEF

April 6, 2025
6

Israel to ban 37 NGOs in Gaza

January 1, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Tinubu to attend 44-yr-old Bassirou Faye’s inauguration as Senegalese president tomorrow

April 1, 2024
3

Father, daughter beheaded in Delta over land dispute

January 19, 2025
4

HAPPENING NOW: Residents scoop diesel as tanker falls on Lagos bridge

January 19, 2026
5

US diplomat, Blinken meets Palestinian leader as Israel keeps bombing Gaza

January 10, 2024
6

I inherited near-empty treasury from Buhari, says Tinubu

May 9, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Fourth body of Rivers helicopter crash victims recovered — Investigation bureau

October 28, 2024

Kenya protests: President Ruto warns against bid to overthrow govt

July 9, 2025

JUST IN: Jigawa governor loses mother

December 25, 2024

Security Council to vote tomorrow on immediate Gaza ceasefire

March 22, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4925
  • Politics4588
  • Crime4409
  • International3040
  • Sports2457
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health877
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa576
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact