Skip to content
Friday 22 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Court declines Gov Fubara’s CoS, Ehie’s plea to stop criminal charge against him, others

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 2, 2024 2973 Minutes read0

•Edison Ehie

A Federal High Court in Abuja today, struck out an application filed by Edison Ehie, the Chief of Staff (CoS) to Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers, seeking an order to strike out the charge against him and others for want of jurisdiction.

Justice Bolaji Olajuwon, in a ruling, held that Ehie, having not been joined as a defendant in the charge, lacked the legal right to make such a plea, reports NAN.

Justice Olajuwon also struck out the CoS’ prayer for an order striking out his name anywhere it might appear in the charge marked: FHC/ABJ/CR/25/2024.

The judge agreed with the police lawyer, Simon Lough, SAN, that having not been joined as a defendant in the charge, Ehie’s application cannot be heard.

Ehie, who was recently appointed as CoS after he resigned as member and factional speaker of the assembly, was alleged to be among the suspects charged by the IGP for committing the offence.

Five suspected arsonists of the Rivers House of Assembly were, on Jan. 25, arraigned before Justice Olajuwon on seven-count charge bordering on alleged terrorism, among others.

Ehie, whose name was mentioned, was alleged to be at large with other suspects.

The five defendants arraigned are Chime Eguma Ezebalike, Prince Lukman Oladele, Kenneth Goodluck Kpasa, Osiga Donald and Ochueja Thankgod.

They, however, pleaded not guilty to the seven-count charge and were ordered to remain in Kuje Correctional Centre until today when their respective bail applications would be determined by the judge.

Upon resumed hearing today, Ehie’s lawyer, Oluwole Aladedoye, SAN, informed the court that he had filed an application dated and filed on January 24, seeking for two orders.

He said the parties had been served accordingly.

Aladedoye said the application was brought pursuant to Sections 6 and 36 of 1999 Constitution.

He argued that it was incorrect that Ehie, whose name featured in the counts preferred by the Inspector-General of Police (IGP), had no right to make this application.

“It would have been different if the name is not there at all,” he added.

The senior lawyer equally argued that in their affidavit it was clearly stated that at no time was his client ever invited by the police.

He urged the court to grant their prayers.

But police counsel, Lough, disagreed with him.

Lough said though he was served with Ehie’s application, the motion was not ripe for hearing.

According to him, the application is incompetent in view of Section 396(2) of Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA), 2015.

He said since Ehie was challenging the jurisdiction of the court, the provision of the law says until an applicant is joined and takes his plea before he can have the right to file such a motion.

“His (Ehie’s) name is not in the charge and has not applied to be joined. So his application is incompetent,” he said, praying the court to strike it out.

Justice Olajuwon, who agreed with Lough, asked: “Who is this person? The person is not a party in this charge and the order challenging the jurisdiction of the court is refused.”

The judge said Ehie’s name was only mentioned as a person who is at large, which was just a statement.

She held that the CoS was yet to be joined as a defendant in the charge.

The judge said that if Ehie was not at large, he should make himself available to the police.

“If that person is not at large, let him make himself available to the police,” she said.

Olajuwon subsequently struck out Ehie’s prayer seeking to strike out his name anywhere it was mentioned in the charge

Meanwhile, the judge had stood down the matter to hear the bail applications of the five defendants.

Tags
CoSCourtdeclinesEhie’sFubara’splea
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Academic activities paralysed as Benue varsity ASUU begins indefinite strike
next post AFCON preview: Super Eagles eye semi-final spot against Angola today
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 20260
News

REVEALED: How I pushed Peter Obi to greet Tinubu at Vatican — Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 20260
News

Nigerian Navy kick-starts 70th anniversary celebrations

May 22, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
News

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 20260
Health

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 20260
Politics

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 20260
Education

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 20260
Crime

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 20260
Politics

Women, youths threaten to dump APC after Senator Shehu Buba’s withdrawal from Bauchi governorship primary

May 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

May 22, 2026

EBOLA: Airlines warned against transporting suspected cases

May 22, 2026

APC has lost its bearing, vision – Former Governor Fayemi

May 22, 2026

Varsity scholarship beneficiaries cry out to FG over delayed allowances since 2024

May 22, 2026

Yoruba Elders denounce kidnappings in Oyo schools, urge South-West governors to act

May 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Oyo govt suspends school excursions, field trips, sports competitions as slain teacher laid to rest

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

63% poverty is Tinubu’s scorecard – ADC

March 13, 2026
3

Navy takes delivery of 3 Augusta helicopters

November 13, 2024
4

Aba–Port Harcourt Expressway: FG issues termination notice to Chinese firm

October 20, 2025
5

Travellers trapped as gridlock grounds Lagos-Ibadan expressway •PHOTOS

November 11, 2025
6

NDLEA arrests 107, seizes 589kg of assorted hard drugs

August 27, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Trump back on trial for defamation in sexual assault case

January 16, 2024
3

Peter Obi’s aide, Yunusa, emerges OBIdient Movement national coordinator

September 3, 2024
4

Tension as kidnappers reject N10 million, detain ransom payers

February 9, 2026
5

JUST IN: Peter Obi visits Daura to condole with late former President Buhari’s family •PHOTOS

July 16, 2025
6

Tyla pushes back against labeling all African music as afrobeats

September 12, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

REVEALED: How I got phone recording of Bobrisky — VeryDarkMan tells House of Representatives

September 30, 2024

Lagos airport runway reopened after Dana Air incident

April 24, 2024

Soldiers raid Yahoo School, arrest fraudsters undergoing training

September 23, 2024

Buhari wasted N23trillion, Tinubu printed N7.8trillion in 7 months, yet still borrows — Economic expert

February 7, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4557
  • Politics4118
  • Crime3906
  • International2748
  • Sports2272
  • Business & Economy2121
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1262
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health803
  • Entertainment740
  • Africa468
  • Religion450
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact