Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Delta killings: Monarchs can’t exonerate selves from murder of soldiers – Defence chief

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 4, 2024 2834 Minutes read0

•CDS Christopher Musa

The Defence Headquarters (DHQ) yesterday accused monarchs in Ughelli South and Bomadi Local Government Areas of Delta State of complicity in the massacre of 17 officers and men of the Nigerian Army three weeks ago.

The DHQ added it found out that the “hands and private parts ” of the slain military personnel were removed by the killers whom it claimed extended the proceeds of “pipeline vandalism, crude oil theft and illegal refineries” to some of the traditional rulers, reports The Nation.

It also said “human sacrifices” were being carried out in those areas by the criminals to demonstrate that they had the ability to kill”.

Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) Gen. Christopher Musa made these known while being featured on a national television programme.

Youths believed to be from Okuama, an Urhobo community in Ughelli South ambushed and murdered the military personnel comprising the Commanding Officer of 181 Army Amphibious Battalion, two majors, one captain and 13 soldiers on March 14.

The troops were reportedly responding to a distress call arising from a clash between Okuama and neighbouring Okoloba in Bomadi Local Government Area.

The military operatives were buried last week with full national honours.

A week ago, the DHQ declared the traditional ruler of Ewu Kingdom, Clement Ikolo, and seven other suspects wanted over the killings.

Ikolo, who surrendered himself the same day to the police in the state, has since been moved to the Army Headquarters in Abuja for questioning.

Shedding light on the killings yesterday, the CDS said: “They (monarchs) cannot say that they do not know what is going on there.

“I am sure that you know that since they murdered the soldiers, there are a lot of human sacrifices ongoing on in those areas and they (monarchs) are part of them.

“Their actions are just a way of saying they have strength and that was why they were able to kill the soldiers.

“I have heard the Urhobo leaders talking. I have very serious respect for elders but I would also like elders to speak from a position of strength.

“We know that a lot of people knew what was going on and kept quiet and that makes them complicit.

“Maybe the detained monarch (Ikolo) did not take part directly, but he will not tell us he does not have the knowledge or understanding of what was going on (in Okuama).

“Those residents of the communities know these criminals. Some of them benefit from their illegal acts. But investigations will unravel most of these things.”

The CDS explained that the slain commanding officer went to the Okuama unarmed because the team was on a peacekeeping mission.

“When he (commanding officer) tried to talk to them (the community members), they (troops) were rounded up and shot. And not only shot, their body parts were cut, and their hands and private parts were removed. I think that’s what all Nigerians should stand up against,” he said.

Gen. Musa added that the hoodlums murdered the troops because they were succeeding in destroying illegal refineries and stopping crude oil theft in the Niger Delta

His words: “The attack (against the soldiers) was premeditated just because the group of criminals, cultists and militants that make a lot of money from crude oil theft believe they are above board.

“They murdered our men deliberately just because the commanding officer and his team were ensuring that any acts of pipeline vandalisation, crude oil theft, and illegal refineries were completely eradicated from that region.”

The Defence chief claimed that the hoodlums had been using the proceeds from their illegalities to procure arms and ammunition.

In Asaba, the Delta State capital, Chief of Army Staff (COAS), Lt.-Gen. Taoreed Lagbaja, charged the media to refrain from amplifying the activities of non-state actors.

“Terrorists, insurgents and other deviant groups thrive on attention and exploit propaganda to instil fear in law-abiding citizens,” Lt.Gen. Lagbaja said at the Nigerian Army Civil-Military Cooperation Media Chat, First Quarter 2024.

His keynote address at the event was delivered by Maj.-Gen. Jamal Abdusalam, general officer commanding, 6 Division/Land Component Commanding, JTF, Southsouth operation.

“The killing of the troops was executed in the most barbaric and cruel manner which is unacceptable and condemnable.

“I, therefore, take this moment to urge the media to refrain from inadvertently amplifying the activities of these undesirable elements,” Lt. Gen. Lagbaja appealed.

In Warri, Enugu and Abuja, Ukoko r’ Ivie Urhobo (Urhobo Council of Traditional Rulers), the Nigerian Peace and Development Advocates and a Niger Delta peace and development advocate, Mulade Sheriff, condemned the killing of the troops but called for a thorough probe.

The Ukoko r’ Ivie Urhobo argued in a statement that an independent investigation of the incident “is the only way the truth can be revealed” and future occurrences averted.

The statement titled “Save our Soul” was signed by the chairman of the council, Emmanuel Sideso and Secretary, Richard Ebelle.

Calling on the relevant authorities to pave the way for the safe return of Okuama indigenes to their homes, the council urged all residents of the troubled communities to remain “calm and law-abiding.”

It condemned the detention of the Ovie of Ewu Kingdom (Ikolo), saying it believed that he was innocent.

Tags
Defence chiefDelta killingsexoneratemonarchsselves
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post South Africa’s parliament speaker resigns over graft probe
next post Nnamdi Kanu’s brother writes open letter to South East governors over continued detention
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Over 20 people feared killed in attack on Plateau community

August 18, 20260
Crime

Man allegedly kills 60-year-old mother with cutlass

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 20260
International

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 20260
Politics

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 20260
News

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 20260
Africa

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 20260
Education

UI, UNILAG lead Nigerian institutions in global ranking •FULL LIST

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 2026

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 2026

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 2026

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 2026

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Community leaders, residents condemn murder of student nurse in Imo

May 25, 2026
3

Alonso shaping new Real Madrid on Liverpool return

November 3, 2025
4

JUST IN: Lagos govt shuts churches, others over noise pollution •PHOTOS

November 28, 2024
5

BREAKING: FG relocates FAAN headquarters back to Lagos

January 18, 2024
6

Kano govt charges Ganduje, wife with $413,000, N1.38bn bribery

April 5, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

17-year-old boy buried in shallow grave inside Lagos church

September 13, 2024
3

Cultism: Edo threatens legal action against Neo Black Movement

May 12, 2025
4

LP, NLC’s battle of wits over party ownership, convention

March 24, 2024
5

Catholic Bishops decry high-level corruption in Nigeria

January 15, 2024
6

Rejecting England for Nigeria changed my career, says Super Eagles star Lookman

June 4, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Former Governor El-Rufai’s son Bashir makes U-turn, calls Peter Obi ‘Great Potential President or VP’

March 11, 2025

I proudly served, fought for Britain — Prince Harry

November 5, 2025

Iran targeting US election with fake news sites, cyberattacks – Microsoft

August 9, 2024

BREAKING: Tinubu lands in Abuja

September 16, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4912
  • Politics4559
  • Crime4402
  • International3030
  • Sports2448
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1362
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health873
  • Entertainment808
  • Africa571
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact