Skip to content
Friday 15 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Explosions rock Iran as Israeli army strikes in retaliation

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 19, 2024 3764 Minutes read0

•Iran’s President Ebrahim Raisi (C) attends a military parade on Wednesday

Iran’s state media reported explosions in the central province of Isfahan today, as US media quoted officials saying Israel had carried out retaliatory strikes on its arch-rival.

Air defence systems over several Iranian cities were activated, state media reported, after the country’s official broadcaster said explosions were heard near the city of Isfahan, reports AFP.

Israel had previously warned it would hit back after Iran fired hundreds of missiles and drones at Israel almost a week ago, in retaliation for a deadly strike — which Tehran blamed on its foe — that levelled Iran’s consular annexe at its embassy in Syria.

Fears of a major regional spillover from the Gaza war have since soared.

There had been no reaction from Israeli or Iranian officials to the overnight strikes and the extent of the damage remained unclear.

Iran’s Tasnim news agency, citing “informed sources,” denied that Iran had been attacked from abroad.

“Contrary to the rumours and claims” made in foreign media, “there are no reports of an attack from abroad on Iran’s central city of Isfahan or any other part of the country,” Tasnim said.

Three Iranian officials told The New York Times that small drones carried out the attack, possibly launched from inside Iran and that its radar systems had not detected unidentified aircraft entering Iranian airspace.

Fars news agency reported “three explosions” heard close to Qahjavarestan, near Isfahan airport and the 8th Shekari army airbase, while Iran’s space agency spokesman Hossein Dalirian said “several” drones had been “successfully shot down”.

Dalirian said on social media platform X there were “no reports of a missile attack”.

“Reports indicate there was no major damage or large explosions caused by the impact of any air threat,” the official IRNA news agency said.

– No nuclear site damage –

The senior military officer in Isfahan, Brigadier General Siavash Mihandoost, told state television that the loud sound people heard was caused by defence systems shooting at a target in the air, not an explosion on the ground.

Nuclear facilities in Isfahan were reported to be “completely secure”, Tasnim said, and the UN’s atomic watchdog reported “no damage” to Iran’s nuclear sites.

Washington received advance notice of Israel’s reported strike, but did not endorse the operation or play any part in its execution, US media quoted officials as saying.

US President Joe Biden had promised “ironclad” support for Israel but also urged it to “think carefully and strategically” before launching a response against Iran that could trigger a wider war.

NBC and CNN, citing sources familiar with the matter and a US official, respectively, said Israel had pre-notified Washington of the strike.

CNN quoted one official as stating the target was not a nuclear facility.

There was no immediate comment from the White House or Pentagon, and the Israeli military told our correspondent: “We don’t have a comment at this time.”

– Strikes in Syria –

Overnight on April 13 Iran carried out its first attack directly targeting Israel, its regional foe.

Israel, backed by its allies, intercepted most of the 300 missiles and drones launched by Iran, and suffered no deaths.

Iran attacked in retaliation for the April 1 strike on its consulate in Damascus which killed seven of Iran’s Revolutionary Guards, including two generals.

Iran-backed groups have bolstered President Bashar al-Assad’s forces since the start of Syria’s civil war in 2011.

Iran is also a key backer of the Palestinian militant group Hamas and Lebanon’s Hezbollah.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, who has vowed to destroy Hamas over its October 7 attack that started the Gaza war, has stressed that Israel “reserves the right to protect itself” against Iran.

While it made clear it would not join a reprisal attack on Iran, Washington, Israel’s main ally and military supplier, unveiled sanctions against people and entities involved in producing the drones deployed in the Iranian assault.

“We are holding Iran accountable,” Biden said on Thursday, announcing the measures after the European Union said it would also sanction Iran’s drone programme.

After its missile and drone barrage against Israel, Iran had declared the matter concluded. But Iranian Foreign Minister Hossein Amir-Abdollahian had warned Tehran would make Israel “regret” any new attack on the Islamic republic.

– Mideast ‘on a precipice’ –

Until its drone and missile attack, Iran and Israel had for years engaged in a shadow war, with Tehran accusing its adversary of a series of sabotage attacks and assassinations targeting its nuclear programme, carried out alongside the United States.

Israeli strikes also hit a military position in Syria’s south, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights war monitor.

The dawn strikes today “targeted a radar installation of the Syrian army” between the provinces of Sweida and Daraa provinces, said Rami Abdel Rahman, who heads the Observatory.

Yesterday, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres painted a dark picture of the situation in the Middle East, warning that spiralling tensions over the war in Gaza and Iran’s attack on Israel could devolve into a “full-scale regional conflict.”

“The Middle East is on a precipice,” Guterres told the Security Council.

“One miscalculation, one miscommunication, one mistake, could lead to the unthinkable”, he said, calling on all parties to exercise “maximum restraint.”

Oil prices surged more than three percent in early Asian trade on Friday following the reports of explosions, and Tokyo’s Nikkei index suffered its largest drop in more than three years.

Citing reports that Israel had struck inside Iran, the United States embassy in Israel told its employees and families to limit their movements.

Tags
explosionsIranIsraeli Armyretaliationrockstrikes
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Zamfara govt bans political officers, civil servants from granting press interviews
next post N80bn fraud: IG withdraws policemen attached to wanted ex-Gov Yahaya Bello
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

India hikes fuel prices as Middle East war disrupts supplies

May 15, 20260
International

Legal practitioners in Nigeria raise fair trial concerns over former petroleum minister Diezani’s UK case

May 15, 20260
International

Trump says he made ‘fantastic trade deals’ with China’s President Xi

May 15, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

Bayern veteran Neuer signs one-year contract extension

May 15, 20260
Entertainment

relationship because of kissing scenes in movies – Actress Sandra Okunzuwa

May 15, 20260
Crime

UPDATED: Teacher killed, pupils, staff abducted as gunmen attack schools in Oyo

May 15, 20260
Crime

We did not assault Uyo teaching hospital staff – EFCC

May 15, 20260
Politics

NDC slashes nomination fees for women, youths, PWDs ahead of 2027 elections

May 15, 20260
Politics

ADC seeks end to unfulfilled campaign promises, unaccountable leadership

May 15, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Bayern veteran Neuer signs one-year contract extension

May 15, 2026

relationship because of kissing scenes in movies – Actress Sandra Okunzuwa

May 15, 2026

UPDATED: Teacher killed, pupils, staff abducted as gunmen attack schools in Oyo

May 15, 2026

We did not assault Uyo teaching hospital staff – EFCC

May 15, 2026

NDC slashes nomination fees for women, youths, PWDs ahead of 2027 elections

May 15, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Bayern veteran Neuer signs one-year contract extension

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Nigeria’s Super Falcons forward Asisat Oshoala completes Al Hilal move on 2-year deal

September 2, 2025
3

Stop using Almajiri to hold Nigeria to ransom – Governor Sule tackles North’s leaders

November 28, 2024
4

Bishop Okonkwo reflects on 80 years of faith, leadership and Nigeria’s future

June 28, 2025
5

JUST IN: Again, fire razes building in Lagos

January 25, 2026
6

Japa: Doctors mass migration worsens Nigeria’s health crisis – Minister

March 17, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

In April Fools’ joke, Trump says he is suspending his campaign

April 1, 2024
3

ADC coalition to Tinubu: You can’t buy back North with token appointments

July 20, 2025
4

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Governor Eno congratulates Archbishop Emma Isong on new role in PFN

March 30, 2025
5

REVEALED: How abducted female student was killed, buried after ransom

September 13, 2024
6

Despite warnings, Lagos agents charge N5,000 for NIN registration

February 9, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Man nabbed for raping wife’s 14-year-old cousin

February 21, 2024

12 states set aside whopping N102 billion for upgrade of govt lodge, cars •FULL LIST

July 27, 2025

Ningi’s civilian coup to unseat Akpabio failed – Bamidele alleges

March 12, 2024

Youths learn from corrupt politicians, attend Confabs for N50,000 — Researcher

January 3, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4541
  • Politics4050
  • Crime3880
  • International2727
  • Sports2250
  • Business & Economy2111
  • Headlines2067
  • Education1252
  • Matilda Showbiz884
  • Health797
  • Entertainment733
  • Africa456
  • Religion448
  • Environment319
  • Special261
  • Arts & Culture226
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech219
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade116
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact