Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Sports
Sports

Mali coach Saintfiet slams FIFA, European clubs over 4-year Africa Cup of Nations plan

The FrontierThe FrontierDecember 26, 2025 1031 Minutes read0

Mali coach Tom Saintfiet yesterday railed against the decision to play the Africa Cup of Nations every four years instead of two, insisting the move was forced upon the continent by FIFA and European clubs motivated by money.

“I am very shocked with it and very disappointed. It is the pride of African football, with the best players in African football,” the Belgian told reporters in Rabat ahead of today’s AFCON clash between Mali and Morocco.

“To take it away and make it every four years, I could understand if it was a request for any reason from Africa, but it is all instructed by the big people from (European governing body) UEFA, the big clubs in Europe and also FIFA and that makes it so sad.”

Saintfiet, 52, has managed numerous African national teams, including Gambia, who he led to the quarter-finals of the 2022 Cup of Nations.

He was appointed by Mali in August last year and today will lead them out against the current AFCON hosts in a key Group A game at the Prince Moulay Abdellah Stadium.

The Cup of Nations has almost always been held at two-year intervals since the first edition in 1957, but Confederation of African Football President Patrice Motsepe last weekend announced that the tournament would go ahead every four years after a planned 2028 tournament.

“We fought for so long to be respected, to then listen to Europe to change your history — because this is a history going back 68 years — only because of financial requests from clubs who use the load on players as the excuse while they create a World Cup with 48 teams, a Champions League with no champions,” Saintfiet said.

“If you don’t get relegated in England you almost get into Europe, it is so stupid,” he joked.

“If you want to protect players then you play the Champions League with only the champions. You don’t create more competitions with more load. Then you can still play AFCON every two years.

“Africa is the biggest football continent in the world, all the big stars in Europe are Africans, so I think we disrespect (Africa) by going to every four years.

“I am very sad about that – I hoped that the love for Africa would win over the pressure of Europe.”

Tags
4-year Africa Cup of NationsEuropean clubsFIFAMali coach Saintfiet
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post US lottery player wins $1.8 billion Powerball
next post More deadly strikes coming to Nigeria if…, says Trump
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Sports

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 20260
Sports

Nigerian fans drive SuperSport’s 19.1 billion World Cup digital views

August 18, 20260
Sports

Senegal appoint Patrick Vieira as head coach after World Cup last 32 loss

August 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 20260
International

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 20260
Politics

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 20260
News

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 20260
Africa

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 20260
Education

UI, UNILAG lead Nigerian institutions in global ranking •FULL LIST

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

August 18, 2026

JUST IN: US lawmaker rejects lifting Nigeria’s ‘Country of Particular Concern’ status after Plateau attack

August 18, 2026

Governor Adeleke denies deal with ADC to win election

August 18, 2026

Container truck queues trigger gridlock, cripple activities in Mile 2, Kirikiri

August 18, 2026

Zambian President Hakainde Hichilema wins second term

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

La Liga: Rodri joins Barcelona from Manchester City

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Man who accused commissioner of sleeping with wife rejects Sharia court judgment

November 19, 2024
3

EPL: Guardiola sets record for fastest 400 wins in England

January 30, 2026
4

BREAKING: Emefiele regains freedom, granted permission to travel

January 18, 2024
5

City boss Guardiola still has hope of revival against Real Madrid

March 16, 2026
6

9 pregnant women rescued from baby factory in Abuja

January 24, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Ex-Aviation Minister Chidoka resigns from PDP

November 30, 2024
3

Federal High Court summons INEC chairman over contempt charge

March 5, 2026
4

Man kills lady, dumps corpse in evil forest

January 14, 2026
5

Anybody who wants Igbo votes must sign proper MoU with us — Former APGA national chairman, Chekwas Okorie

August 27, 2025
6

Footballers who rose from humble beginnings to become household names

January 28, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

EASTER: Let celebration inspire hope for better Nigeria — Peter Obi tells citizens

April 5, 2026

Day 4: Protests continue in Kano despite Tinubu’s broadcast

August 4, 2024

Equatorial Guinea restricts WhatsApp amid sex scandal

November 5, 2024

Gunna, Wizkid, Fave, Shenseea headline Detty December Fest •PHOTOS

December 30, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4912
  • Politics4559
  • Crime4402
  • International3030
  • Sports2448
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1362
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health873
  • Entertainment808
  • Africa571
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact