Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Middle East war: Trump rejects Iran peace terms, Tehran warns of new attacks

The FrontierThe FrontierMay 11, 2026 794 Minutes read0

•Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Rafael Peralta (DDG 115) implementing a maritime blockade against the Iran-flagged crude oil tanker vessel Herby while the latter was attempting to sail toward an Iranian port

US President Donald Trump yesterday branded Iran’s terms for ending the Middle East war “totally unacceptable,” raising the likelihood of renewed conflict after weeks of negotiations.

Iran had responded to Washington’s latest peace proposal earlier in the day, while warning it would not hold back from retaliating against any new US strikes or permit more foreign warships in the Strait of Hormuz, reports AFP.

Trump himself provided no details on Tehran’s counterproposal, but in a brief post on his Truth Social platform made clear he was rejecting it.

“I have just read the response from Iran’s so-called ‘Representatives.’ I don’t like it — TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!” Trump said.

The back and forth came as Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu — whose forces launched the war on Iran along with the US military on February 28 — insisted the conflict was not over until Iran’s enriched uranium was removed and its nuclear facilities dismantled.

Tehran publicly maintained its defiant line, despite behind-the-scenes diplomacy.

“We will never bow down to the enemy, and if there is talk of dialogue or negotiation, it does not mean surrender or retreat,” Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian said yesterday on X.

According to state broadcaster IRIB, Tehran’s response to the US plan, passed to Pakistani mediators, focuses on ending the war “on all fronts, especially Lebanon” — where Israel has kept up its fight with Iran-backed Hezbollah — as well as on “ensuring shipping security.”

It offered little detail, though the US proposal had reportedly focused on extending the truce in the Gulf to allow for talks on a final settlement of the conflict and on Iran’s contested nuclear programme.

Netanyahu said in an interview to be aired in full later Sunday that Iran’s stockpile of enriched uranium must be removed before the war can end.

“It’s not over, because there’s still nuclear material — enriched uranium — that has to be taken out of Iran. There’s still enrichment sites that have to be dismantled,” Netanyahu told CBS’s “60 Minutes.”

He added that Trump was on the same page regarding the need to take away the uranium, though the president said in a recent interview that the US could remove it “whenever we want,” and that it was “very well surveilled” where it is now.

Trump is expected to press President Xi Jinping of China — a major buyer of Iranian oil — on Iran when he visits Beijing this coming week, a senior US administration official said.

No Hormuz ‘interference’

Meanwhile The Wall Street Journal, citing people familiar with the matter, said Iran laid out its own demands to Washington and proposed to have some of its highly enriched uranium diluted, and the rest transferred to a third country.

In its response, delivered through mediator Pakistan, Iran sought guarantees that the transferred uranium will be returned if negotiations fail or Washington quits the agreement later, sources told the Journal.

Trump made no mention of such details in rejecting Iran’s response.

Iran imposed a blockade on the vital Strait of Hormuz early in the war, sending global oil prices soaring and rattling financial markets.

It has since set up a payment mechanism to extract tolls from ships crossing the strait, but US officials have stressed it would be “unacceptable” for Tehran to control an international waterway and the route for a fifth of the world’s oil and other vital materials.

The US Navy, meanwhile, is blockading Iran’s ports, at times disabling or diverting ships heading to and from them.

Britain and France are leading efforts to create an international coalition to secure the strait after a peace deal is reached, with both countries sending vessels to the region in advance.

But Iran warned yesterday that the two nations would meet “a decisive and immediate response” should they deploy their ships to the strait.

“Only the Islamic Republic of Iran can establish security in this strait and it will not allow any country to interfere in such matters,” Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi posted on X.

French President Emmanuel Macron later insisted his country had “never envisaged” a naval deployment in Hormuz, but rather a security mission “coordinated with Iran.”

‘Restraint over’

Fresh drone attacks yesterday in the Gulf were the latest to rattle the ceasefire after multiple recent flare-ups.

The United Arab Emirates said its “air defence systems successfully engaged two UAVs launched from Iran.”

Kuwait reported an attempted attack as well, saying its armed forces dealt with “a number of hostile drones in Kuwaiti airspace.”

And Qatar’s defense ministry said a freighter arriving in its waters from Abu Dhabi was hit by a drone.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility, but Iran’s Fars news agency reported that “the bulk carrier that was struck near the coast of Qatar was sailing under a US flag.”

In a social media post on Sunday, the spokesman for the Iranian parliament’s national security commission warned Washington: “Our restraint is over as of today.”

“Any attack on our vessels will trigger a strong and decisive Iranian response against American ships and bases,” Ebrahim Rezaei said.

According to Iranian state television, Tehran’s military chief Ali Abdollahi met the country’s supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei and received “new directives and guidance for the continuation of operations to confront the enemy.”

Tags
IranMiddle East warTehranTrump
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Panic as varsity student found dead in bush near off-campus residence
next post Hajj: Nigerian pilgrim dies in Saudi Arabia
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
International

Hotel fire outbreak, temple stampede kill 15 Hindu worshippers in India

August 17, 20260
International

Strait of Hormuz: We’ll bomb the shit out of Oman if it gets in way of Iran deal — Trump threatens

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Africa

83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa – FG

August 18, 20260
Politics

Only way to rig 2027 election is not to conduct it, says former aviation minister Chidoka

August 18, 20260
Sports

Coventry sign Nigeria’s Super Eagles striker Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest

August 18, 20260
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Education

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa – FG

August 18, 2026

Only way to rig 2027 election is not to conduct it, says former aviation minister Chidoka

August 18, 2026

Coventry sign Nigeria’s Super Eagles striker Awoniyi from Nottingham Forest

August 18, 2026

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 2026

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

83 more Nigerians to return from South Africa – FG

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Epistles of Anthony Kila: Babatunde Raji Fashola’s book is worth reading

January 26, 2024
3

HAPPENING NOW: Blackout hits Abuja, Embassies affected

May 23, 2026
4

Former deputy governor loses son, daughter in road auto crash

July 6, 2026
5

JUST IN: Gunmen forcefully take away traditional ruler from palace, shoot him dead

February 19, 2026
6

relationship because of kissing scenes in movies – Actress Sandra Okunzuwa

May 15, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: Again, black smoke at the Vatican, no new Pope yet

May 8, 2025
3

JUST IN: Dame Adaora Umeoji named Zenith Bank GMD/CEO

March 19, 2024
4

You can’t fight me – Tinubu dares NLC

February 29, 2024
5

Suspect arrested in Mexico over 1994 presidential candidate’s murder

November 11, 2025
6

SCANDALOUS: Poor Nigerians multiply as Nigeria spends trillions fighting poverty

July 21, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Tinubu supporters’ overdrive making him unpopular, says ZLP chairman

June 17, 2026

JUST IN: Nnamdi Kanu files fresh suit against FG, seeks termination of his continued trial

October 24, 2025

Ex-Rivers Sole Administrator Ibas rejects Assembly’s move to probe 6-month spending

September 22, 2025

Family announces burial plans of late singer, Onyeka Onwenu

August 6, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4550
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1359
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa569
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact