Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

7 Sallah visitors among 17 killed in Sokoto bandit attack

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 1, 2026 1104 Minutes read0

•Terrorists

No fewer than 17 persons, including seven Sallah visitors, have been killed following a deadly attack by bandits on Dangulbi community in Tureta Local Government Area of Sokoto State.

Residents told our correspondent that the attackers, armed with sophisticated weapons and riding on about 150 motorcycles, stormed the community yesterday morning, opening fire on villagers, looting shops and forcing many residents to flee into nearby forests, reports Daily Trust.

A resident of the area, who spoke on condition of anonymity for security reasons, alleged that the bandits had earlier departed from Bagega village in Anka Local Government Area of Zamfara State, which residents believe serves as one of their major hideouts.

According to him, the attackers moved through Barayar Zaki in neighbouring Bukkuyum Local Government Area before arriving at Gizazza village, where they reportedly spent the night before launching the attack.

“We received information about their movement on Saturday. They came from Bagega and passed through Barayar Zaki before reaching Gizazza. Usually, whenever they want to attack our communities, they spend the night there and move in the following morning,” he said.

The source said the bandits entered Dangulbi village between 10am and 11am on Sunday and immediately began shooting indiscriminately.

“They started firing sporadically as soon as they arrived. People ran in different directions looking for safety, but 17 persons were killed during the attack,” he said.

Some of the victims were identified as Munde, Nagoma, Abdullahi, Danbala, Munden Chana, Muhammadu Dan Amo, Hassan, Abubakar Danbaba and Yidi Bafillace.

The resident said five of the victims were Sallah visitors from Adarawa, Gummi LGA of Zamfara state, while two others were visitors from Gidan Gambo in Shagari Local Government Area, bringing the total number of visitors killed in the attack to seven.

He further alleged that the attackers remained in the community for several hours after the killings and prevented residents from conducting funeral rites for the victims.

“They stayed in the village and nobody could come out to bury the dead bodies. It was only after about 7pm when they finally left that residents returned. Funeral prayers for the victims were eventually conducted after 9:30pm,” he said.

According to him, some of the motorcycles used by the attackers carried two riders, with others carrying three, while residents hid in nearby forest throughout the attack as the bandits looted about 20 shops and carted away goods.

Many residents, he added, have since abandoned their homes and sought refuge in neighbouring communities and local government areas, including Gummi, Shagari, Tureta and Bukkuyum.

After leaving Dangulbi yesterday evening, the attackers reportedly moved through other nearby communities, including Kukoki and Birnin Magaji, where they abducted some residents.

The source alleged that the bandits told the captives they would not release them unless petrol was provided for their motorcycles.

“They took some people away and said they would not release them until fuel was supplied for their motorcycles. They later moved the victims towards Gizazza village,” he said.

According to him, a rainstorm that occurred last night created an opportunity for the abductees to escape from their captors.

“The rain started at night and, in the confusion that followed, those who were abducted managed to escape,” he added.

The resident, however, alleged that the attackers returned to communities around Dangulbi today morning and continued their activities.

“After the victims escaped, the bandits came back into some of our neighbouring villages this morning and continued shooting. As I am speaking to you now, I am hiding somewhere and I can still hear gunshots,” he said.

He appealed to both the federal and Sokoto State governments to urgently intervene and deploy more security personnel to the area.

“We have been suffering repeated attacks for a long time, yet we hardly get the support we need. If urgent action is not taken, our people may not even be able to go to their farms this season,” he said.

He recalled that the latest attack was one of several deadly incidents recorded in the area in recent weeks.

“About two weeks ago, more than 20 people were killed in another attack. There was also a separate incident in which about 10 people lost their lives. Since the Eid-el-Fitr celebration, we have hardly experienced peace because the bandits keep invading our communities almost every day,” he said.

Another resident, who also requested anonymity, attributed part of the security challenges facing the area to poor road infrastructure.

He said the absence of accessible roads often delays security responses and makes life difficult for residents.

“We are located deep inside the forest and we do not have good roads. In fact, we are closer to Bukkuyum, Gummi and Shagari than to our local government headquarters in Tureta.

“We appeal to the government to construct roads in this area. Better roads will help security personnel respond faster and will also improve the lives of residents,” he said.

The resident also warned that continued insecurity could negatively affect farming activities in the area, as many villagers are now afraid to return to their farmlands.

When contacted, the spokesman of the Sokoto State Police Command said the Command was aware of the incident and that security operatives were currently on top of the situation.

Tags
bandit attackSallah visitorsSokoto
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Residents slam FG’s silence over non-release of 48 kidnapped school children in Borno
next post Ireland expands employment permit for international workers
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Peter Obi seeks end to killings as fresh attacks claim over 58 lives in Sokoto, Benue, Plateau

August 19, 20260
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Crime

JUST IN: Over 20 people feared killed in attack on Plateau community

August 18, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Peter Obi seeks end to killings as fresh attacks claim over 58 lives in Sokoto, Benue, Plateau

August 19, 20260
Health

New 180-bed General Hospital in Somolu to become Lagos’ Head and Neck Super-Specialty Centre

August 19, 20260
Business & Economy

Commission probes price manipulation as cement hits N15,000 per bag

August 19, 20260
Education

200 lecturers did not resign from Kaduna State University over poor conditions — VC counters claims

August 19, 20260
Politics

Let 2027 campaign be marketplace of ideas, not theatre of war — INEC Chairman Amupitan

August 19, 20260
Politics

2027: Tinubu’s absence from Peace Accord signing sends wrong signal — SDP presidential candidate Adebayo

August 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Peter Obi seeks end to killings as fresh attacks claim over 58 lives in Sokoto, Benue, Plateau

August 19, 2026

New 180-bed General Hospital in Somolu to become Lagos’ Head and Neck Super-Specialty Centre

August 19, 2026

Commission probes price manipulation as cement hits N15,000 per bag

August 19, 2026

200 lecturers did not resign from Kaduna State University over poor conditions — VC counters claims

August 19, 2026

Let 2027 campaign be marketplace of ideas, not theatre of war — INEC Chairman Amupitan

August 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Peter Obi seeks end to killings as fresh attacks claim over 58 lives in Sokoto, Benue, Plateau

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Steel company counters Minister Wike, denies involvement in stolen highway manholes covers in Abuja

January 7, 2025
3

How Tinubu should treat Fulani herdsmen to end insecurity – Yoruba monarch

February 2, 2024
4

Nigeria women highest users of skin-lightening products globally – Report •FG sounds alarm on dangers

January 23, 2025
5

What led to US-Israeli strikes on Iran?

March 1, 2026
6

Oba of Benin announces 2024 Igue festival, bans burial activities

December 2, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

What is your take on UK Conservative Party leader Kemi Badenoch’s comments as being more Yoruba than Nigerian?

December 21, 2024
3

UK mobile phone giants face class action for alleged overcharge

December 9, 2023
4

BREAKING: X suffers outage worldwide

February 16, 2026
5

Building storing illegally refined petrol in Rivers discovered

December 14, 2024
6

Two dead in auto crash along Abeokuta–Ibadan Expressway

July 21, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Anambra seals 200 shops over sit-at-home violations

February 24, 2026

Budget: FG prosecutes terrorists with N780 million, presidential aides get N2 billion vehicles

December 24, 2024

Every Lagos resident must file annual tax returns before March 31 – Govt

March 12, 2026

Confusion as NNPC releases another petrol price breakdown

September 16, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4912
  • Politics4561
  • Crime4403
  • International3030
  • Sports2448
  • Business & Economy2266
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1363
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health874
  • Entertainment808
  • Africa571
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact