Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Ozoro festival: 16 suspects arrested so far, no official rape report yet – Police

The FrontierThe FrontierMarch 23, 2026 663 Minutes read0

•Delta State Police spokesman, Bright Edafe

The Delta State Police Command has dismissed claims that the controversial Alue-Do festival in Ozoro was a “rape festival”, stating that no victim has officially reported rape in connection with the incident.

The Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Bright Edafe, made this known today on Channels Television.

“It is important to state clearly that among the four girls that were interviewed yesterday, no one, not one of them, said they were raped. Up till this very moment, we have not had any official reports that anybody was raped,” he said.

Edafe stressed that investigations are guided strictly by evidence and witness accounts, and explained that the festival, being a traditional rite, was not intended to promote sexual violence.

“It was not a rape festival. It was a festival organised by a chief priest to pray for barren women seeking the fruit of the womb. That was the intention.

“The law does not work on emotions; the law works on available evidence and statements of witnesses. For the fact that we have not had a witness who says ‘I was raped’, and the evidence does not show that anybody was raped, sexual assault is what we would be investigating,” Edafe said.

The PRO also revealed that 16 suspects have been arrested so far.

“Having done the initial arrest, the chief priest, who happens to be the head of the community, was initially arrested alongside four others. Then, having gone through video analysis, that is, the training footage, some additional individuals were identified and arrested, making it 11 more.

“This brings the total number of suspects currently in custody to 16, and they have been transferred to the State Command Headquarters to be duly investigated by the DC State CID,” Edafe said.

The spokesman said that the police visited Uzoro and the Oramudu community to assess the situation and met with four victims.

He stated that the force assured them that the state government would cover their medical needs, compensate for lost property and money, and provide psychological support to help them recover from the trauma.

‘No Prior Information’

However, he noted that due process was not followed in organising the event, as key authorities were not informed.

“For reasons best known to them, the traditional ruler of Ozoro Kingdom was not informed, the students’ union was not informed, and the school management was not informed.

“They also did not inform the police. That is why the chief priest is presently in our custody, because his negligence has led to this embarrassment and to the sexual assault of these innocent girls,” he said.

According to the police spokesperson, the festival is said to occur “once every three or four years, and this is the first time such an incident has been recorded in Delta State.”

Edafe also urged parents and guardians to pay closer attention to their children, noting that safeguarding should not be limited to the girl child alone.

Ozoro Festival

The controversy surrounding the festival sparked national outrage after viral videos showed mobs of men harassing and assaulting women in broad daylight, with some social media users describing the event as a “rape festival”.

Community leaders, however, maintain that the festival was hijacked by hoodlums who exploited the gathering to perpetrate criminal acts.

Authorities have since taken action, with the police confirming the arrests of suspects, including the community head and chief organiser.

The Delta State Government has also condemned the incident, stressing that cultural practices cannot excuse criminal behaviour. The Alue-Do festival has since been banned, while the case has been transferred to the State Criminal Investigation Department for further investigation.

The Ovie of Ozoro Kingdom, His Royal Majesty Anthony Ogbogbo, Ibuka I (JP)

Meanwhile, the Ozoro Kingdom Palace has condemned acts of violence, harassment and intimidation against women linked to the festival.

The palace described the harassment of women during the event as ‘unacceptable’ and ‘contrary to the kingdom’s values’.

The palace distanced itself from claims circulating on social media that such actions were sanctioned, describing them as false and potentially harmful.

While acknowledging the cultural significance of the Alue-Do festival as a fertility rite, the palace emphasised that tradition must never be used to justify abuse or misconduct.

Tags
official rape reportOzoro festivalpolice
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Pilot, co-pilot killed in runway collision at airport
next post Naira to Dollar exchange rate today
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
Crime

Insecurity: South-West now becoming landscape of fear – Actor Lateef Adedimeji

May 20, 20260
Crime

School proprietor sentenced to life imprisonment for defiling 6-year-old pupil

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
News

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Politics

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 20260
Politics

39 aspirants to contest ADC primary in Edo

May 21, 20260
Politics

Real reason I stepped down for Deputy Governor Hamzat in Lagos governorship race — Ajose

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 2026

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 2026

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 2026

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 2026

39 aspirants to contest ADC primary in Edo

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Drivers, housemaids, others included in N70,000 minimum wage — Akpabio

July 24, 2024
3

$1.3b ExxonMobil, Seplat divestment 98% completed – Petroleum Minister

February 1, 2024
4

How to produce skilled graduates – Rector

August 1, 2024
5

Mr Ibu undergoes 5 successful surgeries as family seeks further treatment abroad

October 31, 2023
6

Edo 2024 election: PDP celebrates Appeal Court judgment affirming Ighodalo’s eligibility

September 7, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

French ex-President Sarkozy risks second final conviction

November 26, 2025
3

Empty booth in Japan: Nigeria’s participation at TICAD 9 not about exhibition – Presidency

August 20, 2025
4

Faye sworn in as Senegal’s youngest president

April 2, 2024
5

Go after bigger fish, not Yahoo Boys – Appeal Court judge slams anti-corruption agents

December 2, 2024
6

Contributory Pension Scheme retirees groan over hardship

March 4, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Ronaldo’s son trains with Real Madrid

March 25, 2026

Deportation of 192 foreigners convicted of cyber-terrorism in Lagos completed

October 19, 2025

Late naturalised Nigerian, Roomans’ Will: Court asks parties to maintain status quo

January 28, 2025

TRAGIC: Man collapses as fire roasts children to death inside their apartment

January 23, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4550
  • Politics4098
  • Crime3899
  • International2746
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1254
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact