Skip to content
Monday 18 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Senegal Constitutional Council rejects opposition leader’s presidential bid

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 6, 2024 3532 Minutes read0

•Ousmane Sonko

Senegal’s Constitutional Council yesterday rejected jailed opposition leader Ousmane Sonko’s candidacy for next month’s presidential vote, his lawyer said, after a long-running judicial saga around the firebrand politician.

The 49-year-old, who came third in the 2019 presidential election, has been at the centre of a bitter stand-off with the state that has lasted more than two years and sparked often deadly unrest, reports AFP.

Sonko’s lawyer, Cire Cledor Ly, said the candidacy had been rejected on the grounds that the application was incomplete.

“When we entered, (Council) President Badio Camara immediately notified us that (Sonko’s) file was incomplete,” he said.

More than 90 candidates have put their names forward to the Constitutional Council, which is due to announce the list of presidential contenders on January 20.

President Macky Sall in July announced that he would not seek a third term in the February 25 poll, handpicking his prime minister, Amadou Ba, as his coalition’s presidential candidate.

Sonko filed his candidacy with the Constitutional Council in December despite the state’s refusal to provide him the necessary documents to run.

They argued that Sonko had been removed from the electoral register after being sentenced in June to two years’ imprisonment for morally corrupting a young person.

Sonko’s lawyers had said they would file his candidacy anyway.

The opposition figure has generated a passionate following among Senegal’s disaffected youth, striking a chord with his pan-Africanist rhetoric and tough stance on former colonial power France.

‘Electoral farce’

Yesterday, Sonko’s lawyer said the Constitutional Council president told him that “the files, the accompanying letters and the attached documents were received and checked by the commission, which concluded that one document was missing and that the candidacy file was incomplete”.

Ly denounced the Council’s decision as an “electoral farce” and suggested he would lodge “the appeals provided for by law” when he has information on the missing document.

“The commission’s composition was irregular because the law stipulates that this verification must be carried out in the presence of the candidate or the proxy,” he said.

“There is a desire to move towards elections which from the outset lack transparency and which in any case will not reflect the will of the nation”.

Ly told our correspondent that the Constitutional Council had not informed Sonko’s legal team what document was missing.

Firebrand figurehead

A day earlier, the opposition figure’s chances of running for president had been thrown into jeopardy after the Supreme Court upheld a six-month suspended sentence handed to him for defamation.

The court’s decision closed the case in which Sonko had also been handed a hefty fine for defamation and insults against Tourism Minister Mame Mbaye Niang.

Sonko’s camp maintained he still had the right to run in the election since a judge in December ordered that he be reinstated on the electoral roll.

His coalition nominated him as their presidential candidate last Sunday in a meeting that took place behind closed doors as authorities had banned a public gathering scheduled for the previous day.

Yesterday, leaders from Sonko’s coalition denounced the “complicity” of the Constitutional Council in the “plot” to eliminate him from the ballot.

The firebrand figurehead has been jailed since the end of July on a string of other charges, including calling for insurrection, conspiracy with terrorist groups and endangering state security.

Tags
bidconstitutionalCouncilOppositionpresidentialrejectsSenegal
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post No marriages, burials, other social activities for 3 months as Delta community mourns departed monarch
next post Conductor trapped, crushed to death as truck, trailer, keke collide in Bayelsa
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Russian drone hit Chinese cargo ship overnight in Black Sea

May 18, 20260
International

Military confirms killing of senior ISIS commander al-Minuki in Nigeria-US joint operation

May 16, 20260
International

Russia’s President Putin set to visit China days after Trump trip

May 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

NYSC to enforce new certificate requirement for Corps members from 2026 Batch B

May 18, 20260
Entertainment

Court orders €55 million tax refund to pop superstar Shakira

May 18, 20260
Health

BREAKING: Fire outbreak at Abuja National Hospital forces evacuation of patients •PHOTOS

May 18, 20260
Headlines

Nigeria Revenue Service makes tax ID mandatory for all taxpayers

May 18, 20260
Headlines

FRSC cracks down on fake diplomatic number plates

May 18, 20260
Politics

Hardship: Governors also grumbling under Tinubu – Former Governor Amaechi

May 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

NYSC to enforce new certificate requirement for Corps members from 2026 Batch B

May 18, 2026

Court orders €55 million tax refund to pop superstar Shakira

May 18, 2026

BREAKING: Fire outbreak at Abuja National Hospital forces evacuation of patients •PHOTOS

May 18, 2026

Nigeria Revenue Service makes tax ID mandatory for all taxpayers

May 18, 2026

FRSC cracks down on fake diplomatic number plates

May 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

NYSC to enforce new certificate requirement for Corps members from 2026 Batch B

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Why Kano deputy governor must resign — Commissioner

January 29, 2026
3

Vote-buying must stop – Former Military Head of State Abdulsalami warns politicians

November 8, 2024
4

Defection: Conduct fresh election in 27 Rivers constituencies – PDP tells INEC

December 12, 2023
5

Wage award for January, February being processed – FG

February 22, 2024
6

Abuja thrown into darkness as vandals destroy transmission line

February 29, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Liverpool loses £57 million after Champions League absence

February 28, 2025
3

Elon Musk, other billionaires lose $300 billion in Trump’s first 100 days — Forbes

April 30, 2025
4

Netizens mourn as Canada-based Nigerian lawyer, Odekunle, dies

December 30, 2023
5

‘Fela & the Kalakuta Queens’ musical thrills audience as National Theatre roars back to life

October 4, 2025
6

2 dead, over 200 injured in massive fire in Kenya

February 2, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Sanctioned Russian Central Bank personnel named to IMF board

September 4, 2024

Senate orders probe into FCT demolitions, to invite Minister Wike

December 12, 2024

BREAKING: FG bans cash payments to govt establishments, orders installation of POS terminals

December 8, 2025

Just another day in the office – Anthony Joshua says after defeating Wallin

December 24, 2023
Top posts

Categories

  • News4545
  • Politics4070
  • Crime3888
  • International2735
  • Sports2255
  • Business & Economy2113
  • Headlines2073
  • Education1253
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health799
  • Entertainment734
  • Africa460
  • Religion449
  • Environment319
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact