Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

South Africa ex-President Zuma files appeal against exclusion from May elections

The FrontierThe FrontierApril 2, 2024 3322 Minutes read0

•Jacob Zuma

South Africa’s former president Jacob Zuma today filed an appeal against a decision by electoral officials barring him from running in elections as tensions mount ahead of the May polls.

The electoral commission last week excluded the 81-year-old politician, who is campaigning for a new opposition party, over a 2021 contempt of court conviction, reports AFP.

But in court papers seen by our correspondent, lawyers for Zuma and the party argued that the sentence did not disqualify him for it followed civil rather than criminal proceedings.

The electoral commission “had no valid reasons to violate the political rights of President Zuma,” the papers said.

“(Zuma) was not an accused, he was not charged with an offence by a criminal court, he was not involved in any criminal trial proceedings”.

South Africa is to hold general elections on May 29 in what is expected to be the most competitive vote since the advent of democracy in 1994.

The ruling African National Congress (ANC) is struggling in the polls and risks losing its parliamentary majority for the first time since the end of apartheid, amid a weak economy and allegations of corruption and mismanagement.

Among the groups that seek to capitalise on the ANC’s weakness is Zuma’s new uMkhonto we Sizwe (MK) party.

Named after the ANC’s former armed wing during the anti-apartheid struggle, it looks poised to win a large share of the vote in the battleground region of KwaZulu-Natal — Zuma’s home province — with some polls even putting it at 13 per cent nationwide.

It largely relies on the considerable political clout still wielded by Zuma, who despite scandals and graft allegations is still largely popular, particularly among the country’s more than 10 million Zulus.

– ‘Traitors’ –

The fourth president of democratic South Africa from 2009 to 2018, he has long been bitter about the way he was forced out of office under a cloud of corruption allegations.

Campaigning for MK in an attempt to relaunch his career, he has attacked members of the ANC, his former political home, as “traitors” and “sellouts”.

But last week the electoral commission said he could not run in May for under the constitution “any person who was convicted of an offence and sentenced to more than 12 months imprisonment without the option of a fine” cannot stand in an election.

Zuma was sentenced to 15 months in jail in June 2021 after refusing to testify to a panel probing financial corruption and cronyism under his presidency.

He was freed on medical parole just two months into his term.

But his jailing sparked protests, riots and looting that left more than 350 dead in South Africa’s worst violence since the advent of democracy.

An appeals court later ruled Zuma’s release was illegally granted and ordered him back to jail.

On returning to a correctional centre he immediately benefited from a remission of non-violent offenders approved by President Cyril Ramaphosa, his arch-rival and successor.

Tensions between the ANC and MK have flared in recent weeks.

The former has unsuccessfully tried to have the latter disqualified and has taken it to court to stop it from using the MK name, alleging intellectual property theft.

MK leader Visvin Reddy is due to appear before another court on Wednesday for allegedly inciting violence in a viral online video where he is heard saying massive riots would erupt if the MK was not allowed to run.

Reddy denies the charges.

The electoral court in Bloemfontein is expected to decide on Zuma’s exclusion from the race next week.

Tags
appealex-President ZumafilesSouth Africa
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Kenyan hospital to dispose of hundreds of unclaimed bodies
next post Democrats hit Trump on abortion in key US election states
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

France fines UK fashion site Boohoo over fake discounts

August 20, 20260
International

10 ways to qualify for British citizenship in the UK — Official

August 20, 20260
International

Russian strikes hit hospital, kill 12, injure 33 in Ukraine’s capital Kyiv

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Politics

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 20260
Politics

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Peter Obi dominates South East, South South as Tinubu leads South West, North — Research

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 2026

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 2026

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 2026

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

WHO warns Nigeria among nations falling short of 2025 End TB targets

January 7, 2026
3

Suspected Ebola cases in Abuja test released

September 19, 2025
4

ICPC probes N71.2 billion discrepancy in student loan disbursement

May 1, 2025
5

Nigeria’s GDP once surpassed that of China, Malaysia when we ignored IMF – PDP chieftain Hashim

February 11, 2026
6

Employers, oil marketers to FG: Shun pride, review fuel subsidy removal, flotation of naira

February 21, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

JUST IN: Man slumps, dies in Abuja hotel after checking in with a lady

June 24, 2025
3

Ogun governor appoints new Head of Service

May 23, 2026
4

Soldier opens fire in bar killing 5 civilians

November 13, 2024
5

BREAKING: All surviving Gaza hostages back home, says Israel •FULL LIST

October 13, 2025
6

126 million Nigerians secure NIN, database capacity hits 250 million – Tinubu

September 16, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

BREAKING: Power grid suffers second collapse within 24 hours

October 15, 2024

We will be back – Guardiola vows to rebuild Man City

February 27, 2025

Remi and Lara Olowookere Foundation launches Cancer Care Hub to tackle Nigeria’s growing cancer burden

August 17, 2026

PDP accuses Governor Diri of neglecting the poor despite increased allocations

July 5, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4919
  • Politics4578
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2271
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health876
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact