Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Supreme Court frees soldier after 12 years on death sentence

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 28, 2024 5122 Minutes read0

The Supreme Court has discharged and acquitted a Sergeant, Akawu Bala, who has been on death row for over 12 years.

Bala, who has been in Kaduna prison, was sentenced to death for murder by the General Court Martial of the Nigerian Army, reports Vanguard.

He was accused by the Nigerian Army of shooting one Isa Mohammed on December 9, 2012, when he was attached to African Petroleum Station at Sabon Tasha, Kaduna, with an AK47 rifle.

The victim of the gunshot was said to have died on December 10, 2012 at Saint Gerald’s Catholic Hospital in Kaduna.

Following his indictment, he was put on trial before the General Court Martial on a two-count murder charge punishable under section 106 of the Armed Forces Act 2014.

The military court, upon the conclusion of the hearing, found him guilty and sentenced him to death by hanging.

However on February 17, 2017, his appeal against the death penalty was upheld by the Kaduna Division of the Court of Appeal.

The appellate court held that the charge sheet upon which he was tried and convicted, was not signed by a General Commanding Officer as required by law.

Justice Obietonbara Daniel Kalo who read the Court of Appeal’s lead judgment declared the process of the trial and conviction of the Sergeant as a nullity but however refused to discharge him from the nullified trial, promoting further appeal to Supreme Court.

Delivering judgment in an appeal he lodged at the Supreme Court on March 16, 2017, a 5-man panel of Justices of the apex court, in a unanimous decision, discharged the appellant.

His lead Counsel, Mr. Reuben Okpanachi Atabo, SAN, had argued that since his client’s trial was declared a nullity, the Court of Appeal ought to have made a consequential order to discharge him.

The senior lawyer drew the attention of the apex court to section 193 of the Armed Forces Act 2014, which he said prohibited the retrial of any military personnel after his trial has been voided and set aside.

On its part, the Nigerian Army, through its lead counsel, Mr. Isaac Udoka, opposed Atabo’s position and urged the Supreme Court to okay the retrial of the appellate, in the interest of justice.

In its judgement on the appeal marked SC/889/2017, Justice Helen Ogunwumiju of the Supreme Court, held that the proper thing was to discharge the appellant since his trial and conviction was already voided. Consequently, Justice Ogunwumiju invoked section 193 of the Armed Forces Act 2014 and set the convict free, stressing that the ordinary meaning of the section was that the appellant could no longer be stand another trial over the allegation against him.

She, therefore, ordered the immediate release of the convict from Kaduna prison where he had been on remand since 2012.

Aside from Justice Ogunwumiju, other Justices of the apex court that concurred with the lead judgement, were; Uwani Musa Abba Aji, Chidiebere Nwaoma Uwa, Stephen Jonah Ada and Abubakar Sadiq Umar.

Sergeant Bala had in his defence, claimed that he fired gun shot at the deceased, Mohammed, and one other person when they were walking towards him in the dark at the African Petroleum Station.

He told the court that his order for them to go back was rebuffed, prompting him to fire at them before they could capture him.

The convict claimed that he fired the gun at the two men because it was during the peak of Boko Haram activities in Kaduna, insisting that he became apprehensive when the duo kept coming at him in the dark despite his repeated shout for them to turn back.

Tags
deathfreessentenceSoldierSupreme Court
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post I never took one dime from public coffers — Freed ex-Lagos Speaker Ikuforiji
next post Clearing of farms by Fulani herdsmen a deliberate destruction – Governor Namadi
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

JUST IN: Maternity Home sealed, three arrested over alleged ₦13.5 million newborn baby sale

August 20, 20260
Crime

Stop unlawful detention, extortion or face sanctions — Abuja Police boss warns officers

August 20, 20260
Crime

FG moves to decriminalise attempted suicide, approves National Mental Health Act amendment

August 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Africa

Zambia police summon opposition leader after disputed vote

August 21, 20260
Politics

2027 polls: INEC fixes date for nationwide mock accreditation exercise

August 21, 20260
Headlines

As campaigns for 2027 elections begin, the race heats up

August 21, 20260
Headlines

JUST IN: FG declares one-day Public Holiday

August 21, 20260
Education

BREAKING: How to access just released 2026 WAEC certificate online •Step-by-step procedure

August 21, 20260
International

Nigerians applying for Canada study permit to now wait longer

August 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Zambia police summon opposition leader after disputed vote

August 21, 2026

2027 polls: INEC fixes date for nationwide mock accreditation exercise

August 21, 2026

As campaigns for 2027 elections begin, the race heats up

August 21, 2026

JUST IN: FG declares one-day Public Holiday

August 21, 2026

BREAKING: How to access just released 2026 WAEC certificate online •Step-by-step procedure

August 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Zambia police summon opposition leader after disputed vote

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

How stolen newborn baby was recovered from Ekiti hospital

August 6, 2025
3

Labour Party crisis: National Chairman Abure begs Obi, Otti, others to return

November 30, 2024
4

Dangote Refinery rubbishes NNPCL’s $1billion loan claim

December 19, 2024
5

Stop taking uncertified herbal drugs – Lagos govt warns residents

April 24, 2025
6

Olympics: Poor political leader choices will continue to harm us — Peter Obi

August 13, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Tinubu’s second-term ambition misplaced priority, says former Lagos Deputy Governor Bucknor-Akerele

July 17, 2025
3

Over 20 travellers kidnapped, one shot on Sagamu-Ijebu-Ode expressway

July 1, 2024
4

Ondo guber election: Labour Party deputy gov candidate, Olabisi Adu hails Appeal Court judgment sacking factional candidate

November 13, 2024
5

#FreeNnamdiKanuNow: Court bars Sowore, others from protesting around Aso Rock Villa, others

October 19, 2025
6

Man Utd not yet out of Premier League title race, says Arteta

December 3, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

COUPS: ECOWAS declares state of emergency in West Africa

December 9, 2025

Lagos taskforce arrests 15 minors, 12 adults for street begging

December 18, 2024

UK deploys 6,000 officers to quell riots

August 6, 2024

Yelwata again: Women protest as suspected Fulani herdsmen launch fresh attack, kill residents on farm

August 11, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4922
  • Politics4586
  • Crime4409
  • International3038
  • Sports2457
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health877
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa576
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today203
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact