Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Treason: FG discontinues case against Sowore, others

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 16, 2024 4512 Minutes read0

•Bakare and Sowore

The federal government has discontinued the trial of politician and media owner, Omoyele Sowore, and his co-defendant, Olawale Bakare, (aka Mandate).

The government’s decision to discontinue the trial was communicated to the Federal High Court in Abuja via a notice, dated February 14 but filed the next day by the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Justice Minister Lateef Fagbemi (SAN), reports The Nation.

The notice reads: “By virtue of the power conferred on me under Section 174 (1) (c} of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999, as amended; Section 107 (1) of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act 2015, and all other powers enabling me in that behalf, I, Lateef Olasunkanmi Fagbemi (SAN), intend to discontinue charge number: FHC/ABJ/CR/235/2019.”

Sowore and Bakare were arraigned in 2019 before the Federal High Court in Abuja on a seven-count charge bordering on treasonable felony and related offences for organising the #RevolutionNow protest on August 5, 2019, which the government regarded as an attempt to disrupt peace in the country.

But Justice Ijeoma Ojukwu granted Sowore bail on October 4, 2019 at N100 million with two sureties in like sum.

The judge said the sureties must be resident in Abuja, must have landed property in Abuja that was worth the bail sum and must deposit the original title documents of their property with the court.

Justice Ojukwu also ordered one of Sowore’s sureties to deposit N50 million in the account of the court as security.

She granted bail to Bakare at N50 million with one surety in like some on the same day.

The judge barred them from addressing any rally pending the conclusion of their trial.

While the judge barred Sowore from travelling out of Abuja, she restricted Bakare to Osogbo, the Osun State capital, until the conclusion of the trial.

Following an application by the defendants, Justice Ojukwu, on October 21, 2019, varied some of the bail conditions.

No major progress was made in the case until it was reassigned to another judge of the court, Justice Emeka Nwite.

When the case came up on Wednesday before Justice Nwite, a new prosecuting lawyer applied for an adjournment on the grounds that the former lawyer had been redeployed.

Also, an Abuja-based lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, has hailed the federal government for its decision to discontinue the case.

Olajengbesi said: “This decision reflects a commitment to upholding the principles of justice and fairness within our legal system.

“By discontinuing the trial, the Attorney General has demonstrated a willingness to review cases objectively and prioritise the protection of citizens’ rights.

“This action reinforces the importance of safeguarding freedom of expression and ensuring that individuals are not unduly persecuted for exercising their rights.

“I applaud the Attorney General for his discernment and for taking proactive steps to promote a legal environment that respects fundamental human rights.

“This decision sets a positive precedent for the administration of justice in Nigeria and reaffirms the government’s dedication to upholding the rule of law.”

 

Tags
againstcasediscontinuesFGSoworeTreason
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post I would have loved Akeredolu to be alive to see me succeed him – Gov Aiyedatiwa
next post Oluchi Oparah has been manipulated to disorganise Labour Party – Chairman Abure
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 20260
News

JUST IN: Real reason I resigned as Edo Speaker — Agbebaku

August 17, 20260
News

Aviation minister Keyamo urges International Air Transport Association to review Delta Airport location code

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Education

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Headlines

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 20260
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
Politics

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 2026

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 2026

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 2026

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 2026

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Suspect jailed 15 years over foiled jihadist attack at American superstar Taylor Swift concert

May 29, 2026
3

Man arrested over theft during prayers in Abuja mosque

March 19, 2026
4

Conference League: Chelsea, Betis, Fiorentina, others battle in last 16 draw •FULL FIXTURES

February 21, 2025
5

Woman sentenced to death for killing husband, Maryam Sanda receives Tinubu’s presidential pardon

October 12, 2025
6

Nigeria vs Lesotho: What Super Eagles must do to qualify for 2026 World Cup

October 8, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

State govt gives land owners 10 days grace for recertification

January 2, 2026
3

14-year-old boy commits suicide after obsession with AI chatbot

October 24, 2024
4

Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, others should separate if Nigeria isn’t working – Yoruba nation activist, Sunday Igboho

January 9, 2025
5

BREAKING: Police clear popular pastor, Adefarasin of wrongdoing over viral gun video

September 17, 2025
6

JUST IN: Niger Delta Congress announces date for protest over emergency rule in Rivers

April 3, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Democracy Day: Tinubu hails 27 years of democracy, honours June 12 heroes •FULL LIST

June 12, 2026

Host community members abduct, kill varsity student

June 20, 2024

Crude oil falls to $70 but Nigerian marketers maintain N1,200 pump price

July 2, 2026

Why Tinubu shouldn’t trust his ‘kitchen cabinet’ — Former minister

September 27, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4549
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2443
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1359
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa568
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact