Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Trump confirms he will sue BBC for billions over video edit

The FrontierThe FrontierNovember 15, 2025 1472 Minutes read0

•Trump and BBC entrance

US President Donald Trump said yesterday he would sue the BBC for up to $5 billion, after the British broadcaster apologised but said it would not pay damages for a misleading speech edit.

The broadcaster has rejected Trump’s legal defamation claim, but the president appears determined not to let the matter rest, even after the departure of top BBC executives and as the controversy threatens to become a strain on ties with London, reports AFP.

“We’ll sue them for anywhere between a billion and five billion dollars, probably some time next week. I think I have to do it. They’ve even admitted that they cheated,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One.

Trump earlier said he would sue the BBC for $1 billion, an already enormous sum that represents 13 percent of the organization’s annual revenue. It is mostly funded by a license fee paid by the British public.

The broadcaster has been in turmoil since the edited clip from its flagship news program “Panorama” — aired before the 2024 presidential elections — resurfaced last week.

On Monday, the BBC apologised for giving the impression in the documentary that Trump had directly urged “violent action” just before the assault on the US Capitol by his supporters on January 6, 2021.

“The people of the UK are very angry about what happened, as you can imagine, because it shows the BBC is fake news,” Trump said yesterday.

He added that he planned to raise the issue with British Prime Minister Keir Starmer, who has backed the broadcaster’s independence while avoiding taking sides against Trump.

“I’m going to call him over the weekend. He actually put a call into me. He’s very embarrassed,” Trump said.

Sensitive period for BBC

Trump’s lawyers sent the BBC a letter on Monday accusing the broadcaster of defaming the president and giving it until Friday to apologize and pay compensation.

The BBC said Thursday that its chairman Samir Shah had sent “a personal letter to the White House making clear to President Trump that he and the corporation are sorry for the edit of the president’s speech.”

However, it added: “While the BBC sincerely regrets the manner in which the video clip was edited, we strongly disagree there is a basis for a defamation claim.”

In Britain, the controversy has reignited a heated debate on the operations and impartiality of public broadcasting, as the organization has already been shaken in recent years by several scandals.

The editing row comes at a politically sensitive time for the BBC, which is due to renegotiate the Royal Charter that outlines the corporation’s governance. Its current charter will end in 2027.

The firestorm over the video edit has led the BBC director-general and the organisation’s top news executive to resign.

The broadcaster has confirmed it is also investigating another edit of Trump’s speech from the day of the Capital riots, which the Telegraph newspaper reported had aired in June 2022 on the BBC’s “Newsnight” programme.

In an interview with UK channel GB News broadcast yesterday, Trump again said he had an obligation to pursue legal action.

“This was so egregious,” he said of the video edit.

“If you don’t do it, you don’t stop it from happening again with other people.”

Tags
BBCbillionsTrumpvideo edit
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Actor Baba Ijesha released from prison
next post Bitcoin sinks to 6-month low
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
International

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
Politics

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 20260
Sports

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 20260
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 20260
News

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 2026

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 2026

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 2026

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 2026

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

US ambassadors absent in Nigeria, others – Report

April 17, 2026
3

Edo guber election: INEC announces deadline for submission of nomination forms

March 1, 2024
4

Stripping Senegal of Africa Cup of Nations title a disgrace for Africa — Fans

March 18, 2026
5

UN chief urges international community to condemn Hamas attack

October 8, 2024
6

Police probes circulating video of VeryDarkMan in its uniform

October 27, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: Kidnappers of 15 students demand N20million ransom

March 12, 2024
3

State Assembly passes bill to regulate private school fees

August 4, 2026
4

Okuama: Help, we’re dying in forest – Displaced residents beg Governor Oborevwori

April 23, 2024
5

New APC national chairman emerges as Ganduje resigns

June 28, 2025
6

JUST IN: Tragedy as billboard collapses on 9 tricycles, injures many in Abia

May 28, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

‘Prices of goods still high despite reported drop in inflation’

February 19, 2025

Monarch’s brother accused of slapping Lagos council chairman

June 25, 2025

JUST IN: Kidnapped Ondo Christian worshippers regain freedom after ransom payment

March 3, 2026

How Australian grandma, 56, welcomed twins with 39-year-old Nigerian husband •PHOTOS

July 16, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4927
  • Politics4589
  • Crime4410
  • International3042
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa577
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact