Skip to content
Monday 17 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

Trump says trade deal with China possible

The FrontierThe FrontierFebruary 20, 2025 2273 Minutes read0

•Donald Trump

US President Donald Trump suggested yesterday that a trade deal was “possible” with China — a key target in the US leader’s tariffs policy.

In 2020, the United States had already agreed to “a great trade deal with China” and a new deal was “possible,” Trump told reporters.

Asked about the comments, Beijing’s foreign ministry said today the two countries should handle trade tensions with “mutual respect,” reports AFP.

One month into his second term in office, Trump has threatened sweeping tariffs on allies and adversaries alike — targeting China as well as neighbors Canada and Mexico, and the European Union — and using levies as his main policy tool for lowering the massive US trade deficit.

At the beginning of February, he slapped additional customs duties of 10 percent on all products imported from China.

Beijing’s foreign ministry said Thursday that China and the US “should resolve their concerns through dialogue and consultation based on equality and mutual respect.”

“Trade and tariff wars have no winners and only serve to damage the interests of people all over the world,” ministry spokesman Guo Jiakun said at a regular press briefing.

At a separate news conference, China’s commerce ministry said Beijing “urges the US side not to wield the big stick of tariffs at every turn, using tariffs as a tool to engage in coercion all around.”

Trump is also threatening to impose 25 percent tariffs on all imported cars, and similar or higher duties on pharmaceuticals and semiconductors as he turns up the heat on some of the biggest US trading partners.

He also told journalists aboard Air Force One yesterday that his administration was considering lumber tariffs of “maybe 25 percent” in the coming months.

The president also initially announced tariffs of 25 percent on all Canadian and Mexican imports, before U-turning hours before they were due to come into effect, granting a one-month reprieve in principle until March 1.

And he signed executive orders last week imposing new 25 percent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports, due to come into effect on March 12.

– Exemptions requested –

Experts have warned it is often Americans who pay the tariffs on US imports — not the foreign exporter.

Beijing has responded to the US tariffs with customs duties of 15 percent on coal and liquefied natural gas and 10 percent on oil and other goods, such as agricultural machinery and vehicles.

China is the country with the largest trade surplus with the United States in goods — $295.4 billion in 2024, according to the Bureau of Economic Analysis, which reports to the US Department of Commerce.

US ally Japan last week said it had asked the United States to be exempt from Trump’s tariffs on steel and aluminum exports, and has underlined the importance of its auto industry.

Tokyo’s trade minister is arranging a visit to the United States in the coming weeks to further push for exemptions, Japanese media reported today.

Yoji Muto was expected to meet US officials including new commerce secretary Howard Lutnick before March 12, when the 25 percent tariffs on steel and aluminum imports were set to come into effect, Kyodo News said.

Trump’s latest remarks on tariffs came as the European Union’s trade chief vowed yesterday that the bloc would respond “firmly and swiftly” to protect its interests if Washington imposes tariffs on EU goods.

Maros Sefcovic rejected Trump’s claim that US-EU trade ties were unfair, calling them the “very definition of a win-win partnership.”

But he signaled the EU’s willingness for dealmaking, such as the possibility of reducing or eliminating tariffs on autos and other products.

“If we are going to talk about lowering the tariffs, even eliminating the tariffs, let’s say for industrial products, this would be something which we are ready to discuss,” he said.

Within the 27-nation EU, Germany has by far the largest trade surplus with the United States, largely thanks to its automobile industry and chemical giants such as Bayer and BASF, according to the European statistics agency, Eurostat.

Tags
Chinapossibletrade dealTrump
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post JUST IN: Controversial street singer Portable arraigned in court for assault
next post FG seeks Chinese cooperation in diversification, strengthening nation’s economy
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

Hamas delegation, Egypt spy chief hold talks on Gaza plan

August 16, 20260
International

Former Cambridge Professor immersed in plagiarism scandal found dead

August 15, 20260
International

Trump says US may take control of Strait of Hormuz

August 15, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

Parents mobilise for protest over concession of King’s College

August 17, 20260
Crime

Woman found dead inside church with hand cut off

August 17, 20260
Crime

Teacher allegedly pours petrol on wife, sets her on fire

August 17, 20260
Business & Economy

Stop blaming past govts for refineries’ woes — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 17, 20260
Politics

He belongs in psychiatric hospital — Pastor Enenche fires back at Islamic cleric Jingir over Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket

August 17, 20260
Health

Lagos to expand specialist health care capacity with Ojo, Somolu hospitals

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Parents mobilise for protest over concession of King’s College

August 17, 2026

Woman found dead inside church with hand cut off

August 17, 2026

Teacher allegedly pours petrol on wife, sets her on fire

August 17, 2026

Stop blaming past govts for refineries’ woes — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 17, 2026

He belongs in psychiatric hospital — Pastor Enenche fires back at Islamic cleric Jingir over Muslim-Muslim presidential ticket

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Parents mobilise for protest over concession of King’s College

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Tinubu moves to operationalise state police, inaugurates Policing Bill panel

July 8, 2026
3

Experts link dementia to heart health, physical inactivity, others

November 12, 2025
4

Dangote Refinery, NNPCL row rages over petrol price

September 25, 2024
5

Association of Public Procurement Practitioners of Nigeria demands apology from CIPSM over “unwarranted public statements”

September 7, 2025
6

2027 election: Court rebukes plaintiff, lawyer in suit against former President Jonathan

May 15, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Trump announces Indonesia ‘Deal’ after tariff threats

July 16, 2025
3

Reactions as IMF confirms return of petrol subsidy under Tinubu

February 15, 2024
4

Oscars 2026: British-Nigerian movie celebrities invited to join awards Academy

June 26, 2026
5

Tinubu’s presidential pardon for certain individuals will embolden criminality in Nigeria — Lawyer

October 13, 2025
6

Five-Star Liverpool pull 8 points clear with West Ham rout

December 30, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

WAFCON 2026: Super Falcons drawn against Zambia, Egypt, Malawi •FULL DRAW

January 15, 2026

Report on Kaduna military bombing to be made public – Defence chief

December 19, 2023

Stray bullet kills graduate after NYSC call-up

October 3, 2025

Youth unemployment in Nigeria has reached a crisis stage, says Senator Izunaso

May 30, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4904
  • Politics4546
  • Crime4395
  • International3024
  • Sports2442
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2214
  • Education1357
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health869
  • Entertainment803
  • Africa566
  • Religion483
  • Environment361
  • Special277
  • Info Tech243
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade129
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact