Skip to content
Friday 21 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Education
Education

Outrage as UNICAL evicts, reclaims boys’ quarters from senior staff

The FrontierThe FrontierOctober 13, 2025 1932 Minutes read0

•UNICAL main gate

Tension has gripped the University of Calabar (UNICAL) following the forceful eviction of occupants from the institution’s Boys’ Quarters (BQs), as senior staff accuse management of abuse of power, while the university insists the action was approved by the Governing Council.

•UNICAL Staff Village

The Boys’ Quarters were originally designed to accommodate domestic staff and dependents of senior university employees, but have become the subject of a growing dispute after management began reclaiming and reallocating them to junior staff, reports The Guardian.

An anonymous senior staff member told reporters that university security personnel and staff of the Security and Technical Services Department (SAT) recently broke into several BQs, throwing out belongings of occupants, including those away on sabbatical or official duties.

“If I’m paying for the main house, I should have the right to use the BQ for my dependents, house helps, or relations. Some of our colleagues returned to find their doors broken and personal items thrown outside. This is not acceptable in a university environment,” the source said.

Another senior staff member, who also preferred anonymity, described the eviction as high-handed and demeaning to senior members of the academic community.

“Is the management saying our house helps should now sleep in our bedrooms because the BQs have been seized?” the source asked, warning that the situation could lead to a breakdown of law and order if not properly handled.

The university management, however, defended its decision, saying the exercise followed due process and was aimed at addressing accommodation challenges for junior staff and curbing unethical practices.

Speaking on behalf of the institution, the spokesperson, Mr Eyo Effiong, said the Governing Council directed that all staff should vacate the Boys’ Quarters after evidence showed many were being rented out to students and outsiders.

“Council decided that staff should give up their Boys’ Quarters. Letters were issued notifying them that the BQs had been revoked, and occupants were asked to vacate on or before April 30, 2025,” Effiong explained.

He said investigations revealed that staff collected between ₦80,000 and ₦350,000 yearly from students and outsiders while paying the university much less, describing the practice as embarrassing and unethical.

Effiong added that the university also discovered security threats linked to some occupants.

“We even found a case where someone in the BQ provided information to kidnappers. That incident reinforced the need to review the use of these quarters,” he said.

According to him, the reclaimed apartments will be allocated directly to junior staff through the university’s housing department to ensure accountability and proper rent deductions.

“This policy affects all senior staff who misuse the facility, not just professors. Those with genuine grievances can approach the Governing Council, which approved the decision,” he stated.

 

Tags
boys’ quarterssenior staffUNICAL
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Kola was my only safe space in the house – BBNaija winner, Imisi
next post Cooking gas scarcity worsens as Lagos prices hit record high
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Education

Parents groan as fee increase crisis hits private schools

August 20, 20260
Education

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

August 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 20260
Education

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 20260
Politics

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 20260
Politics

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 20260
Politics

2027 elections: Peter Obi dominates South East, South South as Tinubu leads South West, North — Research

August 20, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

August 20, 2026

2027: Defend your votes like Davido — Cleric urges Nigerian youths

August 20, 2026

Nigerian students give varsity 7-day ultimatum over Law programme crisis

August 20, 2026

Presidency knocks former Vice President Atiku over promise to restore fuel subsidy if elected president

August 20, 2026

HAPPENING NOW: Tinubu in closed door meeting with Governor Adeleke in Aso Villa

August 20, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

37 private hospitals, other health facilities shut down in Kano over regulatory violations

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

UTME: Parents, candidates express frustration at JAMB registration centres

February 14, 2025
3

12 passengers burnt to death in auto crash

December 4, 2024
4

2 killed, wedding guests kidnapped as bandits launch attack in Katsina

January 12, 2026
5

Natasha: CSOs plan protest, seek Akpabio’s resignation as monarch backs Senate President

March 4, 2025
6

June 12: What we are witnessing not governance – Former Vice President Atiku laments

June 12, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

10 ways to take care of your kidneys

August 28, 2024
3

Joao Pedro Brace sends Chelsea into Club World Cup final

July 9, 2025
4

Chelsea’s Mudryk charged over anti-doping violation

June 19, 2025
5

REVEALED: How bankruptcy led Nigerian boxer to death in Ghana

March 31, 2025
6

Drama in court as 2 lawyers battle for NNPP representation

February 3, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

RED ALERT: 33 states, over 14,000 communities at high flood risk – FG warns •FULL LIST

April 15, 2026

EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade: Management of Diabetic Retinopathy

November 25, 2024

FG pays second tranche of wage award arrears to workers

August 8, 2025

EFCC arraigns Ponzi scheme director for alleged N13.8 billion fraud

June 17, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4919
  • Politics4578
  • Crime4409
  • International3036
  • Sports2455
  • Business & Economy2271
  • Headlines2219
  • Education1368
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health876
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact