Skip to content
Thursday 21 May 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Crime
Crime

Abduction of church members: Kaduna villagers counter Police, recount ordeal

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 21, 2026 2634 Minutes read0

Residents of Kurmin Wali village in Kajuru Local Government Area of Kaduna State have narrated how bandits attacked their community on Sunday and abducted many persons.

Some of those who escaped from the bandits and families of those abducted confirmed to our correspondent yesterday during a visit that many people were taken away by gunmen, reports Daily Trust.

They recounted that the bandits stormed the village, surrounded it and kidnapped their victims before taking them into the forest.

This is even as many of the residents said they could no longer sleep in their homes at night for fear of attacks.

Although the Kaduna State Government and Police Command had said there was no kidnapping in the community, residents and the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) have insisted that the dozens of people were abducted and still with the bandits in the bush.

A convoy of security agencies, comprising the military, the police and others, were sighted heading for the community yesterday.

‘My wife, 5 children among captives’

Jonathan Na Allah, a resident of Kurmin Wali, told our correspondent yesterday that bandits abducted his wife and five children during the attack. He said the incident occurred early in the morning during church services.

He said members of the local vigilante group alerted them that the bandits were approaching the village.

“As people tried to run, we realised that the bandits had already surrounded the village. Anyone who tried to escape was threatened with a gun,” he said.

Jonathan explained that he managed to escape by hiding inside a house, but his wife and five children were not as lucky as they were picked and taken to the forest.

Also speaking to our correspondent, another resident, who simply identified himself as Joseph’s father, said his wife and child were still being held by the bandits.

He said although he escaped, the bandits beat him before taking his wife and child away.

“What hurts us most is hearing people say that nothing happened in our village,” he said.

166 persons in captivity – Village head

The village head of Kurmin Wali, Ishaku Dan’azumi Sidi, told our correspondent, that no fewer than 166 persons are currently in the custody of the bandits.

He said he narrowly escaped near a river while many villagers were being marched into the forest.

According to him, fear has forced many residents to leave settlements located deep in the forest, while those who remain now sleep in the bush at night and return to the village during the day.

The village head also said the community is facing serious food shortage after residents sold their farm produce last week to raise ransom for the release of 21 people abducted earlier, only for the bandits to strike again days later.

“We are appealing for help because we have no food and nothing left to secure the release of our relatives still in captivity,” he said.

Sources told our correspondent that the bandits are demanding 17 motorcycles as ransom before releasing the abducted villagers.

Another resident, Luka Bauna, also narrated how he escaped from the kidnappers.

He said while they were being marched through the bush and they reached a river, darkness set in “and I managed to hide and escape because many people were being moved together.”

“This is not the first time bandits have attacked our village, but they had never taken as many people as these. That is why everyone is afraid and some residents are leaving the village,” he said.

The state government and the police did not issue any official statement on the incident yesterday.

The state’s Commissioner for Internal Security and Home Affairs, Sule Shuiabu, did not answer several calls put through by our correspondent to his mobile telephone line seeking his reaction to the accounts of the incident as given by residents of the community. He also did not reply text and WhatsApp messages sent to him.

On Monday, the chairman of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in the 19 northern states, Rev. Joseph John Hayab, had said two churches were affected during the attack.

“I don’t like talking about numbers, but information I received from the area indicated that about 172 people were abducted, while nine managed to escape, leaving about 163 still in the custody of the abductors,” he had said.

He described the incident as painful but insisted that the church would not lose hope.

“It is a very tough and sad situation, but we will not give up. The security agencies and the government are making efforts towards restoring peace in Kaduna, and we acknowledge and appreciate that,” he said.

The Kaduna State Police Commissioner, Muhammad Rabiu, had on Monday described reports of the kidnapping of 163 worshippers the area as false.

Addressing reporters after the State Security Council meeting at Sir Kashim Ibrahim House, the police commissioner had challenged anyone making the claim to list the names of the alleged victims and provide other particulars.

“Till now, nobody has been able to provide the name of any person allegedly kidnapped from the community,” CP Rabiu said on Monday.

Also, the Executive Chairman of Kajuru Local Government Area, Dauda Madaki, on Monday dismissed reports of the attack as rumours.

Madaki had said he personally visited the area after hearing the reports, accompanied by security agencies.

Similarly, the state’s Commissioner for Internal Security and Home, Sule Shauibu, stated on Monday that the CAN chairman and other religious leaders had interacted with the people of the area where the “so-called kidnap” occurred.

Tags
abductionchurch membersKaduna villagerspolice
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Lagos to divert traffic as repairs resume on Lekki-Epe Expressway
next post I lost N150 million goods to Lagos Computer Village fire – Trader
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Crime

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 20260
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
Crime

Insecurity: South-West now becoming landscape of fear – Actor Lateef Adedimeji

May 20, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Crime

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 20260
Crime

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 20260
News

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 20260
International

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 20260
Politics

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 20260
Politics

39 aspirants to contest ADC primary in Edo

May 21, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

May 21, 2026

Daredevil gunmen kidnap Research Institute workers

May 21, 2026

INEC releases Supreme Court-ordered Warri delineation report

May 21, 2026

Nigerian, 8 other deportees from US arrive Sierra Leone

May 21, 2026

Lagos APC primaries: Aspirants petition Tinubu over alleged irregularities, seek review

May 21, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

COUP TRIAL: Accused Army Colonel rejects military court

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Again, Trump fined $10,000 for violating gag order

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Overdone: Varsity Prof condemns Tinubu’s frequent foreign trips

January 28, 2026
3

How organ harvesters deceived villagers to sell their kidneys

April 1, 2024
4

NNPCL recruitment: Unsuccessful applicants receive regret messages

December 3, 2024
5

UK mobile phone giants face class action for alleged overcharge

December 9, 2023
6

Fear of fresh Ebola outbreak in Nigeria: FG tightens border control

September 6, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Nigeria’s Top 10 Songs, with ITTY OKIM •Week 38

September 20, 2025
3

Russia jails woman for writing ‘No To War’ on ballot paper

March 20, 2024
4

You are APC’s biggest, most destructive threat – Former Governor Amosun blasts Oshiomhole

December 20, 2023
5

JUST IN: FG postpones students education loan indefinitely

March 13, 2024
6

BREAKING: BBNaija star Phyna escapes kidnap attempt, recounts ordeal

February 19, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Panic in Oyo as gunmen storm school, kidnap students, principal

May 15, 2026

2027: PDP won’t lose sleep over coalition, ready to sack Tinubu – National Chairman Damagum

July 25, 2025

Christian genocide claims: US lawmaker slams Tinubu, says Nigerian president lying, protecting own interest

November 18, 2025

Taxes not tool for economic growth — Senator Musa

December 3, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4550
  • Politics4098
  • Crime3900
  • International2746
  • Sports2267
  • Business & Economy2119
  • Headlines2076
  • Education1254
  • Matilda Showbiz892
  • Health800
  • Entertainment739
  • Africa465
  • Religion449
  • Environment320
  • Special262
  • Arts & Culture227
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Info Tech220
  • Interview176
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today172
  • Opinion145
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade117
  • Advert30
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Trends16
  • Local News4

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact