•Nasir El-Rufai and Nuhu Ribadu
The trial of former Kaduna State governor, Nasir El-Rufai, over allegations of treason and breach of national security continued today at the Federal High Court in Abuja, with the prosecution presenting evidence to support claims that he received an intercepted private conversation involving the National Security Adviser (NSA).
During the proceedings, the prosecution played a 43-minute television interview with El-Rufai, in which he allegedly stated that someone had wiretapped a conversation involving the National Security Adviser and forwarded it to him, reports Channels TV.
In the interview, El-Rufai was also said to have defended the act, arguing that governments routinely monitor communications.
A prosecution witness told the court that, following the broadcast, investigators interviewed the National Security Adviser, who verbally confirmed that the conversation referenced by El-Rufai had indeed taken place between him and the Chairman of the Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC).
According to the witness, the ICPC Chairman also confirmed having such a discussion with the NSA after portions of the interview were played to him.
The witness further testified that the TV anchor, Charles Aniagolu, activist-lawyer Deji Adeyanju, and a cameraman were invited for questioning.
Aniagolu reportedly confirmed that El-Rufai admitted during the interview that someone intercepted the conversation and passed it to him, while also maintaining that governments regularly engage in such practices.
The prosecution tendered statements obtained from Aniagolu and Adeyanju, which were admitted by the court as Exhibits C, C1 and E, respectively, without objection from the defence.
Another statement from the cameraman, Ugochukwu Agalayana, was admitted as Exhibit D after he confirmed setting up the equipment used during the interview, although he said he did not pay attention to the conversation itself.
According to the prosecution witness, investigators concluded that El-Rufai made what they described as an “open confession” during the television interview regarding the interception of the NSA’s conversation.
The witness added that the investigation team considered the act capable of undermining national security and subsequently recommended prosecution.
A preliminary investigation report tendered by the prosecution was admitted as Exhibit F.
Under cross-examination by defence counsel, Paul Erokoro, the witness acknowledged that he did not examine any communication devices belonging to the NSA, obtain IP addresses, or conduct a forensic analysis of the alleged interception.
He maintained, however, that such steps became unnecessary after the NSA reportedly confirmed the authenticity of the conversation referenced in the interview.
The witness also agreed that El-Rufai never specifically stated during the interview that he personally carried out the interception, but insisted that the former governor repeatedly stood by the claim that the conversation had been tapped and forwarded to him.
When asked whether the defendant could merely have been boasting during a politically charged television appearance, the witness responded that he considered El-Rufai “a person of integrity” and believed he meant what he said during the broadcast.
Following the conclusion of the cross-examination of the first prosecution witness, Justice Joyce Abdulmalik adjourned further hearing in the matter until June 22 and 23.


