Skip to content
Wednesday 19 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Environment
Environment

Environmentalists, manufacturers differ on Lagos govt single-use plastic ban

The FrontierThe FrontierJuly 9, 2025 1723 Minutes read0

•A blocked drainage in Lagos

With the Lagos State government’s ban on certain single-use plastics (SUPs) taking effect on July 1, 2025, local manufacturers have kicked against the policy, stating that small businesses and producers will be adversely affected.

However, environmentalists said they are in support of the ban, citing the need to preserve the environment and reduce waste, reports The Guardian.

Director-General of the Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN), Segun Ajayi-Kadir, last week, urged the state government to reconsider its stance, saying the decision was not informed by credible data, out of tune with the reality of Nigeria’s socio-economic situation and bereft of more ingenious and beneficial solutions.

Arguing that the association was not consulted before a ban was announced, he said industries were not given room for any form of discussion on the challenges that could be associated with the ban and how to mitigate them.

The DG said hundreds of jobs are at risk as over 89 per cent of operators in the plastic value chain depend on the trade of these SUPs as their main source of income.

A former MAN chair, Apapa branch and Executive Director, Universal Luggage Ltd, Frank Ike Onyebu, expressed worry that several manufacturers will be affected, adding that with all the problems the country has, especially low industrialisation, a ban is not needed now.

“This should not be our priority right now. Most SUPs are already being recycled, even though the numbers could be better. For instance, we need items like sachet water and nylon in our factory, but we don’t even get enough because of the country’s poor waste management and low awareness. Some supermarkets no longer give nylon bags to customers but ask you to buy, doesn’t that defeat the whole purpose of reducing nylon use?” he queried.

He expressed concern that more companies keep shutting down daily and urged the state government not to add to this statistic, but instead, come to a homegrown solution that works for all.

The government should be encouraging manufacturers, especially during these tough times. We are not saying the environment is not important, but the government should step up its recycling efforts and encourage the players already in that field. What works in Europe and the U.S. will not necessarily work here, and the fact that they banned nylons doesn’t mean we should rush and copy them.

“The government should sit down with manufacturers and frontally tackle this issue together. A ban should be the last resort. Our survival should be prioritised. Hundreds of small businesses have already closed shop in the last few years, and this ban would swell this number more if care is not taken. They will lay off staff and increase the number of job seekers,” he said.

However, an environmentalist and Chief Executive Officer, Taiwo Adewole and Associates, Taiwo Adewole, said the manufacturers are not sincere. He said they were given 18 months’ notice before the ban was effected and had more than enough time to arrive at a solution.

Noting that the federal government came up with the Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) to encourage manufacturers to think about end use and recycling, he said plastic bottles were exempted from the ban because those manufacturers made EPR provisions.

“Sprite, for instance, changed its green bottle to a clear one to make it easier to recycle. What are the SUP producers doing to tackle waste and improve recycling?

“Our canals and gutters are loaded with a lot of waste, and most of these plastics are not biodegradable. Our environment should come first before profit,” he said.

Urging the manufacturers to meet Producer Responsibility Obligations (PRO) to ensure the end of life of these products does not affect the environment, he urged them to upgrade the materials being used for plastics production and make provisions for buyback, as the burden lies with them more.

“The Food and Beverage Recycling Alliance (FBRA) spends millions on recycling yearly, what do other manufacturers and their associations do in this regard? Have they made efforts in recycling these products? Set up collection points and so on? This will help in creating side jobs and boost the circular economy as more people would become involved. The manufacturers have been asked to upgrade the thickness of the nylons to at least 40 micron and above, they are yet to comply. They should upgrade their systems first, improve recycling and encourage circularity before asking for the ban to be set aside,” he said.

Tags
EnvironmentalistsLagos govtManufacturerssingle-use plastic
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post US restricts Nigerians to 3-month visas, single-entry
next post CBN ends loan waivers, gives banks deadline to submit capital plans
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Environment

Flooded Abuja mansions raise questions over green areas

August 18, 20260
Environment

Residents stranded, vehicles submerged as floods hit Abuja

August 17, 20260
Environment

Roads turned dumpsites: Why Lagos is still losing the battle against roadside waste

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Sports

Arsenal agree to sign Aston Villa defender Konsa

August 19, 20260
International

RED ALERT: Mad cow disease case confirmed on UK farm

August 19, 20260
Headlines

No evidence Nigeria has world’s busiest parliament — FACT CHECK

August 19, 20260
Politics

EXPOSED: INEC uploaded same result sheets multiple times on viewing portal during Osun election — Advocacy group alleges

August 19, 20260
Politics

Governor Adeleke receives Certificate of Return from INEC after Osun election victory

August 19, 20260
News

BREAKING: Chaos as State Assembly workers lock out lawmakers in Edo

August 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Arsenal agree to sign Aston Villa defender Konsa

August 19, 2026

RED ALERT: Mad cow disease case confirmed on UK farm

August 19, 2026

No evidence Nigeria has world’s busiest parliament — FACT CHECK

August 19, 2026

EXPOSED: INEC uploaded same result sheets multiple times on viewing portal during Osun election — Advocacy group alleges

August 19, 2026

Governor Adeleke receives Certificate of Return from INEC after Osun election victory

August 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Arsenal agree to sign Aston Villa defender Konsa

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: Police foil deadly bomb attack in Akure, arrest 6 suspects

April 16, 2026
3

Until I was kidnapped, I discouraged payment of ransom — Former DSS Director Ejiofor

February 4, 2024
4

Minimum wage: Organised Labour kicks as FEC steps down memo, demands consultation

June 26, 2024
5

Buhari for burial tomorrow in Daura – Katsina governor

July 14, 2025
6

…And finally Mr. President speaks without listening, By Chris Mustapha Nwaokobia Jnr.

August 4, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Mother laments teenage daughter’s third month in Boko Haram custody

December 2, 2025
3

Priscilla Ojo: A Nigerian mega wedding in Tanzania

June 1, 2025
4

Akeredolu’s forged signature: Lawyer picks hole in forensic report, calls for proper scrutiny

December 10, 2023
5

2025 budget: Senate rejects N8.9 billion for Information Ministry, says it’s too low

January 15, 2025
6

UPDATED: Crashed helicopter had NNPCL personnel onboard

October 24, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Commercial sex workers protest alleged extortion

August 6, 2025

BREAKING: PDP governorship candidate Dino Melaye boycotts Kogi election

November 11, 2023

President Putin must be held responsible for my husband’s death – Navalny’s wife, Yulia

February 17, 2024

One week after Ondo APC primary election in governor’s favour, campaign coordinator killed

April 28, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4915
  • Politics4566
  • Crime4405
  • International3032
  • Sports2449
  • Business & Economy2266
  • Headlines2217
  • Education1364
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment811
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture239
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact