Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Nigerians knock FCT Minister Wike over comments linking teachers’ nationwide protests to politics

The FrontierThe FrontierJune 4, 2026 1182 Minutes read0

•Nyesom Wike

Nigerians have criticised the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Nyesom Wike, for linking recent protests across the country, including a demonstration by members of the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT) in Abuja, to political motives.

Many Nigerians, however, rejected the characterisation, stressing that the kidnapping of schoolchildren and teachers is not a political issue but a national emergency that requires urgent attention, reports The Guardian.

Wike, who addressed the aggrieved teachers during their protest at the Federal Capital Territory Administration Secretariat in Abuja on Tuesday, said the demonstrations had political undertones.

He said, “In FCT, teachers have been kidnapped before. Why was there no protest in the country? Does it mean that the teachers in Abuja are not important?”

Reacting to the development, a broadcaster, Ayo Mairo-Ese, faulted the minister for making such comments while traumatised schoolchildren are watching how their colleagues are being treated in kidnappers’ dens.

Mairo-Ese, who spoke during a programme on Arise TV yesterday, insisted that the teachers had the right to protest and withdraw their services if the government could not guarantee their safety at work.

She said: “With regards to Mr Wike, I’m very disappointed. He has made a number of statements that would shock Nigerians. We’ve known him to be quite garrulous in the way he speaks.

“But how can you say in one breath that people should not politicise the matter and, in the same breath, do exactly what you warned against by giving it political colouration and even comparing the fact that teachers are being kidnapped in Abuja?

“There is only so far you can push a man or woman. After a while, they reach a breaking point, and the only thing left is to react. That is what this government does not want.

“We are trying to prevent a situation where Nigerians, who are perhaps among the most long-suffering people, get to a point where they say, ‘Enough is enough, we cannot take this any longer.’ You may have had hundreds of kidnapping incidents in Abuja, but one day, when people rise up because of the lack of attention to the issue, you cannot blame them for speaking out and then give it political colouration by asking, ‘Why is it happening now?’ Nigerians are angry.”

She argued that, given the rising cases of kidnappings targeting schoolchildren, particularly in Oyo and Borno states, protests should be organised to compel the government to respond swiftly.

Also reacting, Martins Otse, popularly known as VDM, criticised the minister for downplaying the increasing cases of schoolchildren abductions in the country.

He argued that many political leaders may not fully understand the pain affected families are going through, noting that several of them do not have their children enrolled in schools in Nigeria.

He said, “I don’t blame you. You all moved your children away from the insecurity and sent them abroad to school, while the poor man’s children suffer from the insecurity you cannot protect us from.

“Over 45 children have been in the bush for more than two weeks, in the cold, under the rain and in the sun. We do not know what they are eating or whether they even have blankets to cover themselves in places where there are snakes and scorpions.”

 

Tags
FCT Minister WikeNigerianspoliticsteachers’ nationwide protests
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post 2027: Accord disowns Gbenga Hashim, says party has no presidential candidate
next post SHOCKING: Kidnapped Kwara Christian worshippers die in captivity after ransom payment
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

Niger Delta stakeholders renew calls for restructuring, resource control •Demand 70% oil revenue

August 17, 20260
News

JUST IN: Real reason I resigned as Edo Speaker — Agbebaku

August 17, 20260
News

Aviation minister Keyamo urges International Air Transport Association to review Delta Airport location code

August 17, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 20260
Education

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 20260
Sports

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 20260
Headlines

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 20260
International

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 20260
Politics

Edo Assembly: Why we removed Agbebaku – New Speaker

August 17, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

August 17, 2026

LASU 2026 best graduating student gets N10 million cash prize

August 17, 2026

BREAKING: NFF sacks Coach Madugu, Super Falcons’ crew with immediate effect

August 17, 2026

How Nigerians can apply for FG loan to build, buy a house

August 17, 2026

5 easiest countries for Africans to get a work visa in 2026

August 17, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

200 varsity lecturers resign, strike looms

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

2025: Monitor actions, decisions of political leaders – Former Vice President Atiku tasks Nigerians

January 1, 2025
3

Abuja consumers shun bread, pastries as prices escalate

July 22, 2024
4

BREAKING: Ondo governor, Akeredolu, dead

December 27, 2023
5

We are unaware of DPP advice that released Quadri from prison – Lagos police commissioner

April 22, 2025
6

#FreeNnamdiKanu protest: Amnesty International slams Nigerian Police over disruption in Abuja

October 20, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

World Cup: Nigeria battle Gabon in crucial playoff today

November 13, 2025
3

FG makes U-turn, admits agreement with varsity lecturers

August 30, 2025
4

Tinubu to Catholic bishops: We have stabilised Nigeria and delivered economy from bankruptcy

July 29, 2026
5

DSS summons Awujale nominees as kingmakers cancel ‘meet-and-greet’

January 21, 2026
6

11 most prominent Gospel artistes of 2024

December 21, 2024

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Chelsea cruise in Conference League with Heidenheim win

November 29, 2024

Police extends grace period for enforcement of tinted cars

September 26, 2025

9-man PSG defeat Bayern to reach Club World Cup semi-final

July 6, 2025

JUST IN: INEC yet to receive results from LGs – Edo REC

September 21, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4549
  • Crime4400
  • International3027
  • Sports2443
  • Business & Economy2263
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1359
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health870
  • Entertainment805
  • Africa568
  • Religion483
  • Environment363
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact