Skip to content
Saturday 22 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
International
International

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 22, 2026 622 Minutes read0

•Tinubu and FBI logo

A Washington-based lobbying firm, Von Batten-Montague-York, L.C., has alleged that a U.S. federal court has taken a new step in the long-running Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) case seeking the release of alleged drug-trafficking records linked to President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

In an update posted on X, the firm claimed that it had been told that Judge Beryl Howell of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia granted the FBI permission to submit the documents to the court privately, for in-camera review.

According to the post, the judge has given the FBI, the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), the Department of Justice (DOJ), and President Tinubu until August 28, 2026, “and no later,” to file their opposition to the release of the records, reports Saturday Guardian.

The firm described the “and no later” language as a sign that the court has reached its limit.

The post reads: “We have now been informed that @uscourts Judge Howell this morning granted the @FBI permission to provide the court with the documents in private…

“This has not yet been published on the court docket as of this evening, and the claim is based solely on the law firm’s X post. Meta AI has not independently verified the August 28 date.”

The case is from the FOIA requests filed by American Aaron Greenspan between 2022 and 2023 seeking records from the FBI, DEA, IRS and other agencies relating to a 1990s Chicago heroin trafficking investigation.

In April 2025, Judge Howell ruled that the FBI and DEA’s use of a “Glomar response” — neither confirming nor denying the existence of such records — was “neither logical nor plausible” after the agencies had already officially confirmed investigations relating to Tinubu.

Judge Howell asked the agencies to release non-exempt documents, noting that privacy interests were outweighed by public interest.

The investigation is linked to a 1993 civil forfeiture in which $460,000 in funds connected to Tinubu were forfeited to the U.S. government. Tinubu was not criminally charged and has consistently described the matter as a civil settlement.

Von Batten-Montague-York, L.C., which public filings show was hired by former Vice President Atiku Abubakar in March 2026 to “protect and strengthen his reputational standing” in the U.S, made two additional claims in its post:

The firm claims the FBI has now admitted it holds “highly sensitive drug-trafficking-related information” about President Tinubu, and that seeking private review is standard procedure for protecting informants.

The post contrasts the DOJ under President Joe Biden, which it says blocked and stonewalled, with the DOJ under President Donald Trump, which it says is “moving fast and being transparent.”

The firm repeats an unverified allegation that President Tinubu “ratted out his alleged co-drug traffickers in exchange for immunity.” No U.S. court has found Tinubu to have been an informant, and that allegation has not been confirmed by the FBI or DOJ.

The firm also thanked President Trump and White House senior staff for moving the case forward.

If the claim is accurate, the in-camera review would allow Judge Howell to privately assess whether the documents are exempt from release under FOIA, particularly exemptions that protect law enforcement sources and methods, before issuing a final order on public disclosure.

The FBI, DEA and DOJ have previously requested additional time to compile and review records.

President Tinubu’s U.S. counsel has not publicly commented on this latest alleged order.

Tags
drug case filesFBIprivateTinubuUS court
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu
next post Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
International

Tinubu’s alleged drug trafficking: Why we can’t release his record – FBI

August 21, 20260
International

India clamps down on Nigerians overstaying visa, four arrested already

August 21, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Health

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 20260
International

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 20260
Politics

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 20260
Sports

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 20260
News

IPOB condemns Britain’s ‘selective outrage’ over Israel, Nnamdi Kanu

August 22, 20260
Africa

Another batch of Nigerians to be evacuated from South Africa next week – Association

August 22, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

August 22, 2026

One dead as plane hits car

August 22, 2026

EXPOSED: How APC, Accord Party splashed N100 billion on Osun election

August 22, 2026

Prolific Osimhen scores back-to-back braces

August 22, 2026

BREAKING: US court permits FBI to review Tinubu drug case files in private

August 22, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

The meat we eat and the years we lose: How Nigeria’s abattoirs quietly erode our life expectancy, By Dr. Gani Enahoro

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: JAMB Registrar Oloyede bows out, Aina steps in

July 31, 2026
3

Japa: Man dies during ritual to acquire good luck inside grave

October 22, 2024
4

Guber election: Alleged ballot snatcher shot dead

November 11, 2023
5

Peter Obi’s heart was never in ADC, says former SGF Babachir Lawal

May 6, 2026
6

Suspended Rivers Governor Fubara, Speaker Amaewhule to resume tomorrow as Tinubu ends emergency rule

September 17, 2025
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Mbappe condemns racist abuse by Paraguayan senator after World Cup clash

July 7, 2026
3

Kenya flights suspended as body of revered politician Odinga repatriated

October 16, 2025
4

BREAKING: FG bows to Organised Labour ultimatum, begins payment of wage award

February 20, 2024
5

Gunmen attack military checkpoint in Abia, kill 2 soldiers

November 13, 2024
6

Woman electrocuted while using plugged-in phone during bath

October 1, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Lagos govt to demolish shanties, markets at Cele

January 15, 2025

179 ASPs disqualified as Police promote 952 officers

August 21, 2025

2027: INEC moves to align party regulations with Electoral Act 2026

March 3, 2026

Ekpoma protests: Governor Okpebholo bows to pressure, approves release of arrested students

January 14, 2026
Top posts

Categories

  • News4927
  • Politics4589
  • Crime4410
  • International3042
  • Sports2459
  • Business & Economy2272
  • Headlines2221
  • Education1369
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health878
  • Entertainment812
  • Africa577
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture240
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today204
  • Interview186
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact