Skip to content
Tuesday 18 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
Business & Economy
Business & Economy

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

The FrontierThe FrontierAugust 18, 2026 73 Minutes read0

•Tinubu

Thousands of Nigerian entrepreneurs seeking to formalise their businesses under the federal government’s free 250,000 business names registration scheme are stuck in a bureaucratic limbo, with complaints of unprocessed applications, failed NIN verifications and irretrievable certificates piling up, even as the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC) issued a fresh public notice last weekend reassuring Nigerians the initiative remains free and warning against fraudsters.

The scheme, announced by President Bola Tinubu during the 8th National MSME Awards, allows 250,000 eligible nano, micro and small businesses to obtain CAC business name registration at no cost, with the federal government waiving fees to encourage entrepreneurs to formalise their operations and access funding. Applicants first register on the SMEDAN portal before being directed to the CAC for certificate issuance.

But nearly a year after the CAC and SMEDAN signed the enabling Memorandum of Understanding, users describe a process riddled with technical breakdowns, reports Daily Independent.

On X, Chioma Obinagwam appealed directly to the CAC to “conclude the update on your website promptly,” saying it had been “frustrating and impossible” for over six months to upgrade her business status to a limited liability company.

A user known as “King of two nations” said he holds a SMEDAN certificate but has found no path to complete CAC registration, while Nwideedu Barry Benedict said he cannot even download his SMEDAN certificate to proceed.

Others reported approvals stuck for weeks. Chukwuma Iwube said his business name has awaited approval for nearly two months, while two users, “Favour247” and “Offor1111,” said applications submitted and approved by SMEDAN since July remain pending on the CAC portal despite emails to the commission’s help desk.

Olajide Ajetunmobi flagged a separate technical snag, an “unable to verify NIN” error despite entering accurate details, pointing to possible friction between the CAC’s system and the National Identity Management Commission’s database.

For Nduka Odo, the stakes are more personal.

He said a business name he registered in 2021 under an earlier CBN-sponsored scheme is publicly searchable on CAC’s records but does not reflect on his dashboard, and no certificate has ever been issued, despite the business bearing his full name.

Not every account was negative: Oluwagbemi Mayowa said the process took him just 48 hours, attributing others’ struggles to low public awareness of the scheme rather than the system itself.

The complaints echo problems the CAC has publicly acknowledged before. Registrar- General Hussaini Ishaq Magaji, SAN, disclosed in September at a stakeholders’ forum in Kano that the commission was contending with a backlog of 7,000 registration applications, attributing it to the overwhelming volume of applications following the transition to an AI-driven portal.

A prolonged outage on the iCRP portal in May further stalled new registrations, with the commission normally processing an average of 10,000 requests daily before such system shocks, and no official timeline was given for restoration.

Magaji has said the commission inherited an overstretched registration portal unable to cope with rising demand from compliance drives such as mandatory POS business registration and annual returns filing, and has repeatedly pledged reforms to eliminate delays.

In its notice signed August 15, 2026, CAC management reiterated that MSMEs already in SMEDAN’s database without CAC registration automatically qualify for the free drive urged eligible entrepreneurs to register only through portal.smedan. gov.ng, and stressed that the commission will not request payment for the exercise, cautioning the public against fraudsters offering to “fast-track” applications for a fee.

For now, the gap between the scheme’s promise and its delivery leaves Nigeria’s small business owners — the very group the initiative was designed to formalise — caught between two portals, each pointing them back to the other.

 

Tags
bureaucracyFGfree business registration driveNigerians
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post ECOWAS dangles $65,000 cash prize for top 60 startups
next post Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
Business & Economy

Concerns as cost-of-living pressure lingers despite easing inflation

August 18, 20260
Business & Economy

Stop blaming past govts for refineries’ woes — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 17, 20260
Business & Economy

Revenue Commission to unveil new sharing formula, judicial pay structure soon

August 16, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Politics

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 20260
Entertainment

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 20260
Crime

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 20260
Africa

ECOWAS dangles $65,000 cash prize for top 60 startups

August 18, 20260
Health

18.2 million Nigerians living with chronic Hepatitis B

August 18, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

August 18, 2026

Angelique Kidjo to become first African musician to get Hollywood star

August 18, 2026

Children cry out for help as popular Nollywood actor battles stage 4 cancer

August 18, 2026

Two suspected ‘One Chance’ robbers in Police net

August 18, 2026

Nigerians react as bureaucracy cripples FG’s free business registration drive

August 18, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

Don’t pressure Pastor Adeboye to speak against Tinubu – RCCG Continental overseer

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

Soldiers shooting civilians compounds our vulnerability – Plateau residents cry out

April 15, 2024
3

BREAKING: We’ll defend every officer on lawful duty, says defence minister over Wike versus military officer encounter

November 12, 2025
4

Lagos school suspends teacher for abusing 3-year-old pupil

January 9, 2025
5

Hoteliers strengthen security measures ahead of Lagos LG elections

July 3, 2025
6

JUST IN: Varsity students involved in auto crash

July 18, 2024
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

IGP orders promotion of 10,581 Inspectors, others

April 5, 2024
3

PSG lose to Dortmund to open Champions League semis

May 2, 2024
4

Kamala Harris to detail 2024 presidential run in new book

August 1, 2025
5

Mob attacks Federal Road Safety Corps office in Benin

February 20, 2026
6

Charcoal price rises amid increase in cooking gas cost

June 10, 2026

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

TRAGEDY: Snake enters office, kills headmaster at Abuja school

January 26, 2026

Biden, Trump suit up for first televised clash of 2024

June 21, 2024

BREAKING: Passengers narrowly escape death as another BRT bus catches fire on Lagos bridge

March 3, 2026

South Africa parliament Speaker’s home raided in corruption probe

March 19, 2024
Top posts

Categories

  • News4910
  • Politics4555
  • Crime4402
  • International3029
  • Sports2444
  • Business & Economy2265
  • Headlines2215
  • Education1361
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health872
  • Entertainment807
  • Africa570
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech244
  • Arts & Culture238
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact