Skip to content
Thursday 20 August 2026
  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact
The Frontier
Click to read
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • Health
  • Business & Economy
  • Sports
  • More
    • International
    • Religion
    • Entertainment
    • Info Tech
    • Matilda Showbiz
      • Gists
      • Music
      • Gossips
      • Oga MAT
      • Romance
    • Arts & Culture
    • Environment
    • Opinion
    • Features
    • Epistles of Anthony Kila
    • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
The Frontier
  • News
  • Crime
  • Politics
  • Religion
  • Headlines
  • Education
  • International
  • Business & Economy
  • Entertainment
  • Sports
  • Arts & Culture
  • Environment
  • Health
  • Matilda Showbiz
    • Gists
    • Music
    • Gossips
    • Oga MAT
    • Romance
  • Opinion
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade
  • Info Tech
  • Interview
The Frontier
Click to read
News
News

Onitsha market closure: IPOB declares lockdown in Southeast Monday

The FrontierThe FrontierJanuary 31, 2026 1503 Minutes read0

•IPOB

The final word on the closure of the Onitsha main market by the Anambra State government has yet to be heard, as the Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB), under the leadership of Nnamdi Kanu, declared a total lockdown of all economic activities across Igboland on Monday, February 2, 2026, in solidarity with traders.

Governor Charles Soludo had on Monday shut down the Onitsha market for one week following the continued observance of Monday sit-at-home by traders.

Soludo had earlier abolished the Monday sit-at-home order in the state and directed that all economic and other activities resume. He had also vowed to sanction organisations that flouted the order. He said the Monday sit-at-home order was denying the state several billions of naira.

Last Tuesday, however, defiant traders who refused to open on Monday reported that the market was locked and manned by security operatives when they went on Tuesday.

IPOB, which has always stood with the traders, announced a total lockdown of the Southeast region on Monday, February 2, 2026, reports Saturday Guardian. This was despite an agreement by the traders to comply with the state government to ensure the market remains open every Monday.

In a statement, IPOB’s Media and Publicity Secretary, Emma Powerful, said the February 2 lockdown is necessary because of the “tyrannical actions of Anambra State Governor Charles Soludo, who has shut down Onitsha Main Market for one week and threatened further month-long closures, revocation of land ownership, demolition, and punitive repurposing.”

“This strike is not enforcement; it is a voluntary, collective expression of outrage and solidarity with the hardworking traders of Onitsha, whose livelihoods are now under direct assault by a governor who has chosen to act as an enforcer for anti-Biafran interests rather than as a servant of his people. Soludo’s closure of Africa’s largest market, coupled with his reckless threats to revoke allocations and rebuild in the ‘public interest,’ constitutes economic warfare against Biafrans. It is designed to break the spirit of peaceful civil disobedience that has highlighted the injustice of Mazi Nnamdi Kanu’s continued detention despite sham proceedings,” Powerful said.

He reminded the governor that the Monday sit-at-home originated as a peaceful protest demanding the unconditional release of Nnamdi Kanu, adding that the very cause has galvanised global attention to Biafra’s quest for self-determination.

“Attempts to cast this as economic sabotage or criminality will fail. The markets thrived on Christmas Mondays without incident, proving that voluntary compliance stems from genuine solidarity, not fear. Soludo’s escalation only exposes his desperation to provoke confrontation at a time when Biafra’s international profile is rising and diplomatic efforts are gaining traction,” he added.

He continued: “On Monday, February 2, 2026, we call on all Biafrans — traders, transporters, banks, schools, civil servants, and every sector across Anambra, Abia, Imo, Enugu, Ebonyi, and beyond — to observe this solidarity strike peacefully. Remain indoors, refrain from all commercial and public activities, and demonstrate our disciplined resolve to the world. This is not about disruption for its own sake; it is about standing with Onitsha traders who are being punished for demanding justice and reaffirming that no governor can coerce free citizens into abandoning their rights or their solidarity.

“IPOB remains committed to non-violence and dialogue leading to a referendum on Biafran self-determination. We urge all to remain law-abiding, avoid provocation, and remain vigilant against false-flag operations aimed at discrediting our cause. The world must see that Biafrans are a peaceful, mature people fighting for freedom through legitimate means — not the chaotic region Nigerian lobbyists desperately portray.

“Soludo’s war on Onitsha traders is a war on all Biafrans. This strike will send a clear message: Touch one, touch all. Our leader’s prophecy endures—Biafra’s liberation is near, and no amount of intimidation will stop it.”

Tags
IPOBlockdownMondayOnitsha marketSoutheast
FacebookTwitterWhatsAppLinkedInEmailLink
Previous post Imam, 3 others arrested as worshippers kill car painter •Victim’s family members storm mosque, disrupt Jumah’at prayer
next post Why Nigeria, other African countries are in constant conflict – Bishop Kukah
Related posts
  • Related posts
  • More from author
News

2027 elections: Broadcasters, online publishers, bloggers, others warned against disinformation, hate speech

August 19, 20260
News

BREAKING: Chaos as State Assembly workers lock out lawmakers in Edo

August 19, 20260
News

National Assembly overwhelmed by 14,000 workforce — Clerk

August 19, 20260
Load more
Read also
Inside Akwa Ibom Today

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 20250
Education

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

August 19, 20260
Business & Economy

You must account for subsidy removal gains — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 19, 20260
Headlines

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke’s convoy attacked by gunmen while leaving monarch’s palace

August 19, 20260
Crime

South African mother pleads guilty to hard drugs importation in Nigeria

August 19, 20260
Politics

Elderly man murdered after endorsing APGA Rep candidate in Ebonyi

August 19, 20260
Education

Tinubu directs EFCC to channel all recovered looted funds to Nigerian Education Loan Fund account

August 19, 20260
Load more

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

August 19, 2026

You must account for subsidy removal gains — Former Vice President Atiku tells Tinubu

August 19, 2026

BREAKING: Governor Adeleke’s convoy attacked by gunmen while leaving monarch’s palace

August 19, 2026

South African mother pleads guilty to hard drugs importation in Nigeria

August 19, 2026

Elderly man murdered after endorsing APGA Rep candidate in Ebonyi

August 19, 2026

inside the Hill top newspaper

0 Comments

JUST IN: Lagos exams board announces date for Common Entrance Screening Test

0 Comments

5 burnt to death scooping fuel from fallen tanker

0 Comments

Naira slumps further as dollar scarcity bites harder

0 Comments

BREAKING: Appeal Court sacks Senate Minority Leader, orders election rerun

0 Comments

Follow us

FacebookLike our page
InstagramFollow us
YoutubeSubscribe to our channel
WhatsappContact us
Latest news
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

BREAKING: Real Madrid star Vinícius Jr. wins Best Men’s Player at 2024 Globe Soccer Awards

December 27, 2024
3

2027 elections: Nigerians are waiting to vote Tinubu out — Former Governor Amaechi

April 17, 2026
4

Delta retires over 200 civil servants over age falsification

July 8, 2025
5

Hot Lyrics: TREAT U RIGHT, by FOLA & Ayra Starr

July 4, 2026
6

APC primaries: Panic, confusion for House of Reps aspirants over missing guidelines

May 15, 2026
Popular
1

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025
2

DEADLOCK: France’s new Prime Minister Lecornu resigns hours after unveiling cabinet

October 6, 2025
3

Kidnappers shot dead as police rescue abducted Indians in Ogun

May 8, 2024
4

Food security: Southwest farmers, Miyetti Allah sign MoU on peaceful coexistence

April 19, 2024
5

TRAGEDY: One dead as vehicles collide on Third Mainland Bridge Lagos

May 5, 2026
6

EU military spending to hit record €380 billion in 2025

September 2, 2025

About The Frontier

The Frontier is Nigeria’s leading online newspaper. It is published by Okims Media Links Limited headed by Sunny Okim, a veteran journalist who is widely known as The Grandmaster, fondly called so by colleagues and friends for being Nigeria’s pioneer movie journalist.

Most viewed

inside the Hill top newspaper

February 9, 2025

INSIDE AKWA IBOM TODAY: Governor Eno kicks off town hall meetings tomorrow •Women gear up for grand celebration

March 7, 2025

Veteran Yoruba movie actor Agbako dies at 101

October 31, 2024

Son to leave Tottenham this summer after 10 years

August 2, 2025

Police inspector brutalizes 3 children over witchcraft allegations

November 9, 2025
Top posts

Categories

  • News4916
  • Politics4567
  • Crime4406
  • International3032
  • Sports2450
  • Business & Economy2267
  • Headlines2218
  • Education1366
  • Matilda Showbiz983
  • Health875
  • Entertainment811
  • Africa573
  • Religion483
  • Environment364
  • Special277
  • Info Tech245
  • Arts & Culture239
  • Hunger protests in Nigeria224
  • Inside Akwa Ibom Today202
  • Interview185
  • Opinion153
  • EyeCare with Dr Priscilia Imade130
  • World Cup 202695
  • Advert34
  • Trends23
  • Epistles of Anthony Kila19
  • Local News5

© 2026 The Frontier, Published by Okims Media Links Limited.

designed by winnet services

  • Home
  • Advertise with us
  • Contact